Atomic Blonde (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Atomic Blonde

Really fun, but also really messy.

The story is meh and the way it's told is sort of erratic and frankly boring at times. It felt like the editing of the film kind of got in its own way. Like, lots of unnecessary lingering shots on people just listening to dialogue or whatever. It also has numerous shots of people walking from A to B with an 80's pop song blasting the whole time, which is what I think the filmmakers believe qualifies for "style."

Leitch's work on John Wick and other films shows itself here, but so much of the film just seems sadly unpolished.

For example, there is a stairwell fight scene that leads to a car chase that is "all one shot", which has pretty spectacular fight choreography, stunts, and clever editing. I just wish the rest of the film was like that.

Theron was great, Boutella was hot, McAvoy was underwritten.

7/10

anarchy wrote:No one saw this this weekend?

I thought it has its moments but the plot was all over the place. Its fight scenes are surprisingly not very John Wick-esque, and I enjoyed it way more than John Wick Chapter 2.
I saw it and as Cil said it was fucking mess. Charlize was good, very good but I had some trouble following what was going on. This movie may get better with subsequent viewings. Loved the
stair way action sequence
. Some of the best action I've seen.

James McAvoy is in this?

the_red_ninja wrote:James McAvoy is in this?
Yes.

Holy smokes.

antovolk wrote:Holy smokes.
Are you contractually obligated to love every movie that comes out?

MyCocaine wrote:Are you contractually obligated to love every movie that comes out?
if I was there'd also be an Emoji Movie and Dark Tower positive reaction from me. But guess what, seeing neither because I know I won't like them. Ideally when you go out to the cinema you want to like what you see don't you?

Anyway there's only one problem with this film which is that it should've ended like 5 minutes earlier than it did.
fuck those final twists just took the piss

I'd rather have more antovolk's than Batfan175's.

antovolk wrote:
MyCocaine wrote:Are you contractually obligated to love every movie that comes out?
if I was there'd also be an Emoji Movie and Dark Tower positive reaction from me. But guess what, seeing neither because I know I won't like them. Ideally when you go out to the cinema you want to like what you see don't you?

Anyway there's only one problem with this film which is that it should've ended like 5 minutes earlier than it did.
fuck those final twists just took the piss
I can totally understand this. There was a time when I was accused of the same round here but then couple of things happened:

a) I grew more cynical of the world
b) I started following movies less and less on a (almost) day-to-day basis during production.

What happened after that is easy to guess. People, start betting on the horses that will at least win the fourth place in the race. You all know your tastes, you know exactly what you're getting into with the amount of information out there, try to lower that 'trash' level so to speak. Or buy yourself a ticket for that so called 'guilty pleasure' from time to time, on purpose. Have fun, it's movies after all. Anyway, it happens to the best of us so of course you'll have several misfires throughout the year, movies that you either dislike or fucking hate. That's fine, because how will you appreciate the ones that capture your imagination if you haven't seen the other side of the spectrum?

Also, antovolk probably doesn't spend much time in his life talking about movies he dislikes - there's a good reason for that, think about it.

I remember somebody jumping down my throat for "liking every single movie" once. No, I just don't watch total shit.