2017-2018 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Sanchez wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 1:41 am
I Am The Night wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 1:36 am
I think he should stop making blockbuster to focus on smaller, more subtle and deep projects to earn an Oscar, then he can continued with blockbusters.
I hope he never stops doing what he want just so that he can earn himself an Oscar. History tells us that a lot of the greatest filmmakers of all time have zero or almost no awards at all.

If he wanna continue to make blockbusters forever, he should do that. Sure I want him to make his Hughes project, but whenever he does, he's not gonna do it because he want to win an Oscar for it. He's gonna do it when he feels it's the right choice for his career.
Spot on, he should do what he wants to do, don’t get caught up in the, “I need an Oscar” idea. If that’s what anyone here really wants him to do then we could have Nolan wasting his talent for years on end striving for Oscars (as there is never a guarantee in winning) then him doing his thing.

PowerDump wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 1:39 am
bootsy wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 1:14 am
Does anyone think Nolan/a Nolan movie will ever win a Academy Award? Or do you care?

I personally don't care but I of course would be happy if he did. I just feel disappointed that this was supposed to be his moment. After seeing the movie in July I was like the Oscars are a lock for him.
Bacon wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 1:06 am
But you didn't say which 3. :lol:
At this point I don’t think he will ever win. I’m super happy he got the nom but I don’t think he’s ever going to make a film with higher ratings from main critics than this. Maybe if the timing in the year was better for Oscar season it would’ve faired better (which it is bullshit how movies can get kind of get forgotten if they release earlier) and maybe in the future he’ll release one in the future that is huge and at the right time of year.

Do I care if he never wins? It would be a bitter lie for me to say no as he’s done so much in his career.

The more important question is what do I care about more, him winning or him continuing to do his thing and not pander to what the critics need for an oscar (timing, the right topic, etc)? I will take his vision in what he wants to do over him not winning an award any day.
Man you make a good point about that timing. This award was all but his in the summer and then TSOW comes out and it still looked like his until award season started. It's like TSOW came out and hit all the right notes with the voters and Nolan was an afterthought. :cry: After I saw TSOW about a week after it came out I was not expecting it to win big like it did. I just thought Del Toro would be some tough competition but I felt like it was still Nolan's at that point.

I just listened to two Oscar post show podcasts and none of them mentioned Dunkirk at all. One of the shows talked about what movies will be remembered from this year's Oscars and no one on the show mentioned Dunkirk. They mentioned Get Out, Phantom Thread, Lady Bird, and Call Me By Your Name. Those last two I'm not sure about but it's like the media didn't even get behind Dunkirk all that much. That's what is truly frustrating.

I Am The Night wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 1:45 am
No, I dont mean that he should stop doing blockbusters for awhile to get Oscar.
That's literally what you just said though.

Sanchez wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 1:55 am
I Am The Night wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 1:45 am
No, I dont mean that he should stop doing blockbusters for awhile to get Oscar.
That's literally what you just said though.
and I just edited it :gonf:

Congrats Lee Smith and the sound editors and mixers for Dunkirk! :clap: :clap: :clap:

My boy Oldman finally holding that Oscar in his hands :clap:

Very happy for McDormand, Janney and Rockwell too!

Phantom Thread nabbing best Costume Design yasss they were so gorgeous

Lame Shape of Water won best fucking film and score LOL we all knew Nolan wasn't going to win BD but at least he's finally got that nominee, so it's not impossible anymore.

And 2049! Deakinss and VFX thank god

My initial (lazy) response to the 2018 oscar winners in emoji form. Because someone has to use those little things.

OSCAR 2018.The Winners.
Best picture
Winner: The Shape of Water :think:
Best actress
Winner: Frances McDormand - Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missou :clap:
Best actor
Winner: Gary Oldman - Darkest Hour :)
Best supporting actress
Winner: Allison Janney - I, Tonya :clap:
Best supporting actor
Winner: Sam Rockwell - Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri :clap:
Best director
Winner: The Shape of Water - Guillermo Del Toro :think:
Best adapted screenplay
Winner: Call Me By Your Name - screenplay by James Ivory :twothumbsup:
Best original screenplay
Winner: Get Out - written by Jordan Peele :wave:
Best foreign language film
Winner: A Fantastic Woman (Chile) :twothumbsup:
Best original song
Winner: Remember Me - Coco (Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez) :twothumbsup:
Best original score
Winner: The Shape of Water - Alexandre Desplat :think:
Best animated feature
Winner: Coco :thumbup:
Best documentary feature
Winner: Icarus :clap:
Best cinematography
Winner: Blade Runner 2049 - Roger Deakins :o :twothumbsup:
Best costume design
Winner: Phantom Thread - Mark Bridges :twothumbsup:
Best make-up and hairstyling
Winner: Darkest Hour - Kazuhiro Tsuji, David Malinowski & Lucy Sibbick :thumbup:
Best production design
Winner: The Shape of Water - production design by Paul Denham Austerberry; set decoration by Shane Vieau and Jeff Melvin :thumbup:
Best visual effects
Winner: Blade Runner 2049 - John Nelson, Gerd Nefzer, Paul Lambert & Richard R :twothumbsup: Hoover
Best film editing
Winner: Dunkirk - Lee Smith :thumbup:
Best sound editing
Winner: Dunkirk - Richard King and Alex Gibson :thumbup:
Best sound mixing
Winner: Dunkirk - Mark Weingarten, Gregg Landaker and Gary A Rizzo :thumbup:
Best animated short
Winner: Dear Basketball :twothumbsup:
Best live action short
Winner: The Silent Child :twothumbsup:
Best documentary short
Winner: Heaven Is a Traffic Jam on the 405 :D
This is also the first year where i've watched all the main nominated films and ,I have to say, 2017 has been a pretty good year.

Deakins. Excellent. And long overdue.

The show itself is just awful, but it's good to see the awards mostly handed out to the right people.

As with Ridley Scott, I honestly don't see Nolan winning BD anytime soon. It's just one of those things, man.

Happy for Lee Smith. Still can't believe he didn't get nominated for Inception.

The most baffling thing for me about Del Toro's win is that all some people are saying is that he's a nice guy and he deserves it.

MeLVaNoaTe wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 7:22 am
Happy for Lee Smith. Still can't believe he didn't get nominated for Inception.

The most baffling thing for me about Del Toro's win is that all some people are saying is that he's a nice guy and he deserves it.
The Oscars in a nutshell

i just realized that, despite his long and incredible career, James Ivory just won his first oscar and is the oldest nominee ever to win

that's pretty cool