2017-2018 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
burning my 4k collection and coffee mug now

Bacon wrote:
December 22nd, 2017, 7:53 pm
It will be nominated for like 10 Academy Awards and win 3.

Does anyone think Nolan/a Nolan movie will ever win a Academy Award? Or do you care?

I personally don't care but I of course would be happy if he did. I just feel disappointed that this was supposed to be his moment. After seeing the movie in July I was like the Oscars are a lock for him.
Bacon wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 1:06 am
Bacon wrote:
December 22nd, 2017, 7:53 pm
It will be nominated for like 10 Academy Awards and win 3.
But you didn't say which 3. :lol:
Last edited by bootsy on March 5th, 2018, 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary picture

Bacon wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 1:16 am
Legendary picture
I only see one and his wife.

Even if you don’t like the film or think it should have won, at least it was rewarded to a film that celebrates and champions CINEMA, maybe not the right film, but at least a film that pays attention to craft that goes into making a filmmaking, that gives me hope for the future at least.

bootsy wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 1:14 am
Does anyone think Nolan/a Nolan movie will ever win a Academy Award? Or do you care?

I personally don't care but I of course would be happy if he did. I just feel disappointed that this was supposed to be his moment. After seeing the movie in July I was like the Oscars are a lock for him.
Dunkirk made more money domestically than Interstellar, it's the highest grossing WW box office hit of 2017 that's an original live action film, and it's the third highest rated movie of the year (and called Nolan's best by many), so this absolutely feels like a disappointment. No matter how politically correct these awards are, it is still incredibly underwhelming that Dunkirk didn't recieve a single win in any of the major awards.

Will he win one down the line? Honestly, not necessarily. If he continues to make blockbusters forever he might also end up being ignored forever.

Frankthetank wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 1:18 am
Even if you don’t like the film or think it should have won, at least it was rewarded to a film that celebrates and champions CINEMA, maybe not the right film, but at least a film that pays attention to craft that goes into making a filmmaking, that gives me hope for the future at least.

Sanchez wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 1:21 am
bootsy wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 1:14 am

Dunkirk made more money domestically than Interstellar, it's the highest grossing WW box office hit of 2017 that's an original live action film, and it's the third highest rated movie of the year (and called Nolan's best by many), so this absolutely feels like a disappointment. No matter how politically correct these awards are, it is still incredibly underwhelming that Dunkirk didn't recieve a single win in any of the major awards.

Will he win one down the line? Honestly, not necessarily. If he continues to make blockbusters forever he might also end up being ignored forever.
I don't know if blockbusters has anything to do with it. He doesn't make movies to be blockbusters unless they are the TDK trilogy. He makes movies that turn into very profitable movie that just happen to be very good too. I don't think he has to go back to making a Memento type movie to win an Oscar. That would be great if he does because Memento is his best movie to me but I just want him to stay true to himself and don't try to win an Oscar because he hasn't won it yet. Which I don't feel like he is that type of director.

He doesn't make movies to be blockbusters unless they are the TDK trilogy.
Nah man, he was extremely and explicitly specific that he wanted Interstellar and Dunkirk to both be considered blockbusters.