2017-2018 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Yes.

He's a favorite to win the damn thing!

Jedisunscreen wrote:Calling it now...

The big shocker of Oscar nominations: Nolan misses Best Director again.

Nominees will be Del Toro, McDonagh, Peele, Gerwig, and Guadagnino.
Or Villeneuve.
Not sure where you are getting at with this. Nolan has been nominated for every major award so far and all of a sudden he's going to miss and Oscar nomination?

bootsy wrote:

Or Villeneuve.
Not sure where you are getting at with this. Nolan has been nominated for every major award so far and all of a sudden he's going to miss and Oscar nomination?
It just strikes me as one of those sure bets that ends up not following through, like Affleck missing Best Director for Argo. And there's precedent for Nolan too. He got directing nominations for Inception from the HPFA, BAFTA, and the DGA, but missed out on the Oscar nomination.

Jedisunscreen wrote:
bootsy wrote:

Or Villeneuve.
It just strikes me as one of those sure bets that ends up not following through, like Affleck missing Best Director for Argo. And there's precedent for Nolan too. He got directing nominations for Inception from the HPFA, BAFTA, and the DGA, but missed out on the Oscar nomination.
Everyone runs to the Ben Affleck example. That's one example of that happening and now it's supposed to happen all the time now.? Nolan is pretty locked in for a nomination at this point. This DGA lineup is probably what it will be for the Oscars. If anyone misses it's probably Peele or Gerwig possibly even McDonagh but Nolan and Del Toro are locks.

It most likely not going to happen, but it's not exactly unheard of. Scott and Haynes were nominated for pretty much everything in 2015 except the Oscar. Same with Affleck and Bigelow in 2012. Not to mention Nolan himself back in 2010.£

MyCocaine wrote:Yes.

He's a favorite to win the damn thing!
I just don't see it happening knowing the Academy and all that. Although, not getting nominated at all is certainly a bigger shock than him not winning it.

I'm CERTAINLY hoping he gets nominated AND wins it though because he bloody deserves it, especially for Dunkirk IMO

Didn't say it was unheard of just saying Nolan isn't getting snubbed. He and the movie itself are too strong right now for him to miss. He's already won for Best Director 10+ times so far on the awards circuit. If those other directors: Haynes, Scott, etc won that many times and had been snubbed then I could see your point.

Nolan getting snubbed after garnering most major precursors will be unlikely but definitely not unheard of. He did this in 2010, as did Affleck, Bigelow, Scott, etc. One of the factors working in his favor, though, is him directing a WWII film, which is considered a more 'prestigious' genre than sci-fi.

Guadagnino is a huge threat as Sony Pictures Classic has been able to get a director nomination without any major precursors twice this decade – Bennett Miller for Foxcatcher and Michael Haneke for Amour.

Wonder Woman? Best action movie

Del Toro beat Nolan again. RIP all chances. RIP MyCocaine

i disagree

it’ll go to whoever wins DGA