2017-2018 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
User avatar
Posts: 408
Joined: March 2017
Pre-August Movies Who Have Chances of Being Nominated for Each Category

Best Picture
-Dunkirk
-Get Out
-Mudbound
-The Big Sick
-Wonder Woman
-Logan

Best Director
-Christopher Nolan, Dunkirk
-Jordan Peele, Get Out
-Dee Rees, Mudbound
-Patty Jenkins, Wonder Woman

Best Actor
-Kumail Nanjiani, The Big Sick
-Daniel Kaluuya, Get Out

Best Actress
-Nicole Kidman, The Beguiled
-Carey Mulligan, Mudbound

Best Supporting Actor
-Mark Rylance, Dunkirk
-Jason Mitchell, Mudbound
-Patrick Stewart, Logan

Best Supporting Actress
-Mary J. Blige, Mudbound
-Holly Hunter, The Big Sick

Best Adapted Screenplay
-Virgil Williams and Dee Rees, Mudbound
-Sofia Coppola, The Beguiled

Best Original Screenplay
-Jordan Peele, Get Out
-Christopher Nolan, Dunkirk
-Kumail Nanjiani and Emily V. Gordon, The Big Sick
-Edgar Wright, Baby Driver

Best Animated Feature
-The LEGO Batman Movie
-Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie
-Cars 3
-Despicable Me 3
-The Boss Baby

Best Cinematography
-Hoyte Van Hoytema, Dunkirk
-Darius Khondji, The Lost City of Z
-Michael Seresin, War for the Planet of the Apes

Best Film Editing
-Lee Smith, Dunkirk
-Gregory Plotkin, Get Out

Best Original Score
-Hans Zimmer, Dunkirk
-Michael Giacchino, War for the Planet of the Apes

Best Production Design
-Nathan Crowley, Emmanuel Delis and Gary Fettis, Dunkirk
-David J. Bomba, Mudbound
-Anne Ross and Amy Beth Silver, The Beguiled
-Sarah Greenwood and Katie Spencer, Beauty and the Beast
-Hugues Tissandier, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

Best Costume Design
-Jacqueline Durran, Beauty and the Beast
-Stacey Battat, The Beguiled
-Michael T. Boyd, Mudbound

Best Sound Editing
-Dunkirk
-Baby Driver
-Get Out
-War for the Planet of the Apes
-Wonder Woman

Best Sound Mixing
-Dunkirk
-Baby Driver
-Get Out
-Wonder Woman
-War for the Planet of the Apes

Best Visual Effects
-War for the Planet of the Apes
-Dunkirk
-Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
-Wonder Woman
-Beauty and the Beast

Best Makeup and Hairstyling
-Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
-Logan
-Dunkirk

User avatar
Posts: 18413
Joined: June 2012
Location: a twilight world
It's not even out yet and I think Murder on the Orient Express already has a fair shot at Best Costume Design and probably Best Make-Up as well lol. Perhaps Best Cinematography as well? The 65mm is certainly going to help.

Fingers crossed Amsterdam gets a 70mm print this November, dying to see it in 70mm.

@bootsy: what I don't understand is why you keep saying people know nothing about race. I think that bugs me the most out of that entire... conversation.

User avatar
Posts: 8012
Joined: August 2012
Nomis wrote:@bootsy: what I don't understand is why you keep saying people know nothing about race. I think that bugs me the most out of that entire... conversation.
Because there are things we don't know about race. By we I mean white people. Unfortunately our modern world is not as post racial as we all hoped it would be, and I just don't see why people are so dismissive of some of the stuff he's saying. It's rash and this whole debate bordered on ridiculously silly, but there are things white people just will never understand about people of colour, unless we were able to step into their shoes. It would be kind of like telling a woman how she should feel about certain things or telling her how certain stuff is not a big deal, but honestly how could you ever do that if you're not her - you won't ever get to live even a day as her and experience some of the stuff she may on a nearly daily basis, stuff you'd write off as unimportant purely because it just doesn't affect you. You can try to understand, you can try to listen (something some people here were proven to be a little incapable of) and empathize, but you won't experience it. And being dismissive just kind of sounds like completely shutting people off.

As for people calling each other racist here, I think absolutely EVERYONE can be racist as individuals - I mean a white person is capable of being racist towards a black person and vice versa, actually, or an Asian can totally be racist towards a person of a different race (or even harbour racist views towards his own people). Just like women can absolutely hate men as well. But I think the case here is more of an insitutional racism - and it's not the same thing. I'm against quotas because when it comes to art, it feels forced and unnatural and I'd like to inject as little politics into this as possible (when possible), but it's pretty damn obvious Moonlight wouldn't have been noticed THAT much if it wasn't for what happened in 2015. Honestly even I (think) rolled my eyes at the #oscarssowhite thing because it's natural to want the best candidates to be judged and selected, but like... when you think about it. People of colour are mostly shut out of this industry, to the point that the only (or mostly) chance they can get is the one they manage to give themselves - hence "all black" movies, for example. We have "token" poc characters, now we also have "token" poc movies we award so we can congratulate ourselves on being progressive. How about the industry tries to incorporate and give more minority actors, for example, a chance in roles where race is unspecified? So that we can finally truly judge art as art and stop wondering if movies like Moonlight and Get Out are praised for the need to fill up a "quota".

User avatar
Posts: 9841
Joined: October 2011
Location: Foot of Mt. Belzoni
Nomis wrote:It's not even out yet and I think Murder on the Orient Express already has a fair shot at Best Costume Design and probably Best Make-Up as well lol. Perhaps Best Cinematography as well? The 65mm is certainly going to help.
Didn't help the last time he shot in the format.

I wish he would pick a more... interesting DP than Haris whatsisface

User avatar
Posts: 21411
Joined: June 2010
Location: All-Hail Master Virgo, Censor of NolanFans
I want to answer so bad but I'll resume to AA talk.

I agree on Murder looking good for Costume Design for sure. But Cinematography eh. Agree with Armand there.

User avatar
Posts: 10442
Joined: January 2011
Location: Waiting for a train
the_red_ninja wrote:I'm interested to know what original songs are up this year? I thought Mary Poppins was this year...
Will Pharrell Williams finally get a win?

User avatar
Posts: 2414
Joined: June 2011
Ruth wrote:
Nomis wrote:@bootsy: what I don't understand is why you keep saying people know nothing about race. I think that bugs me the most out of that entire... conversation.
Because there are things we don't know about race. By we I mean white people. Unfortunately our modern world is not as post racial as we all hoped it would be, and I just don't see why people are so dismissive of some of the stuff he's saying. It's rash and this whole debate bordered on ridiculously silly, but there are things white people just will never understand about people of colour, unless we were able to step into their shoes. It would be kind of like telling a woman how she should feel about certain things or telling her how certain stuff is not a big deal, but honestly how could you ever do that if you're not her - you won't ever get to live even a day as her and experience some of the stuff she may on a nearly daily basis, stuff you'd write off as unimportant purely because it just doesn't affect you. You can try to understand, you can try to listen (something some people here were proven to be a little incapable of) and empathize, but you won't experience it. And being dismissive just kind of sounds like completely shutting people off.

As for people calling each other racist here, I think absolutely EVERYONE can be racist as individuals - I mean a white person is capable of being racist towards a black person and vice versa, actually, or an Asian can totally be racist towards a person of a different race (or even harbour racist views towards his own people). Just like women can absolutely hate men as well. But I think the case here is more of an insitutional racism - and it's not the same thing. I'm against quotas because when it comes to art, it feels forced and unnatural and I'd like to inject as little politics into this as possible (when possible), but it's pretty damn obvious Moonlight wouldn't have been noticed THAT much if it wasn't for what happened in 2015. Honestly even I (think) rolled my eyes at the #oscarssowhite thing because it's natural to want the best candidates to be judged and selected, but like... when you think about it. People of colour are mostly shut out of this industry, to the point that the only (or mostly) chance they can get is the one they manage to give themselves - hence "all black" movies, for example. We have "token" poc characters, now we also have "token" poc movies we award so we can congratulate ourselves on being progressive. How about the industry tries to incorporate and give more minority actors, for example, a chance in roles where race is unspecified? So that we can finally truly judge art as art and stop wondering if movies like Moonlight and Get Out are praised for the need to fill up a "quota".
Good Lord man. I didnt read any of this but I apologized. Move on.

User avatar
Posts: 8012
Joined: August 2012
^I was... kinda on your side bootsy. Maybe you should have read lol.

User avatar
Posts: 2414
Joined: June 2011
Nomis wrote:It's not even out yet and I think Murder on the Orient Express already has a fair shot at Best Costume Design and probably Best Make-Up as well lol. Perhaps Best Cinematography as well? The 65mm is certainly going to help.

Fingers crossed Amsterdam gets a 70mm print this November, dying to see it in 70mm.

@bootsy: what I don't understand is why you keep saying people know nothing about race. I think that bugs me the most out of that entire... conversation.
@Nomis. Yeah dude in case you missed it. I apologized. At this point this is called piling on. I'm a grown ass man. I don't need you or (dont care) to chastise me. You are like a football player that after someone made the tackle and then you come in and jump on top of the person late when the tackle has already been and celebrate like you did something. You are nothing to me.Like I said move on.
Ruth wrote:^I was... kinda on your side bootsy. Maybe you should have read lol.
My bad that was meant for @Nomis not you.
I'm on my cellphone and have a hard time seeing certain things. I thought I was quoting Nomis is post.
Last edited by bootsy on August 5th, 2017, 12:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Posts: 13711
Joined: May 2010
Location: Mumbai
Who's hosting btw? I've forgot who hosted this year already.

Post Reply