2017-2018 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Spert wrote:
m4st4 wrote:
Spert wrote:it really starts with who are running these movie studios, most of whom are still old, white men.
So, we wipe them out, insert preferable choices? That's Fight Club fantasy unfortunately.
Or just diversify the people running those studios so it's not all one demographic
How do you achieve that? Quotas.

RIFA wrote:I'm not going to be a diplomat like m4st4 here because I truly believe this discussion is astonishingly stupid and should not even take place.
Spert wrote:Is RIFA a white supremacist or something?
You just pulled the fucking race card in regards to Get Out being nominated and I'm the white supremacist because I reject that stupid card? This has nothing to do with black or white movies. :facepalm:

Get Out is just simply not Academy Awards material. All-white/all-black cast it doesn't matter. I mean we just had Moonlight winning last year and now you claim that Get Out should be nominated for diversity? So fuck quality basically? Shouldn't you root for Marshall, Mudbound or Roman Israel, Esq? Aspire for diversity AND quality not just diversity. You're an idiot.
Well, sure I'm a diplomat, for a reason.

I'm a white boy in a mostly white ex-Yu country. I mean you have people of color from all around the world here, who am I to tell them how to feel about this thing, which frankly is the worst, to think that we're still filling up quotas and counting quality diversified pictures like some sort of precious rarity.

So yeah when I say Get Out is a very good horror movie not worthy of a highest mark, suddenly it's about color and not the movie. You can't not feel certain emotions.

Yes m4st4. You're right. Which is the problem because it's not about the color.

And people like Spert should understand that. I mean I just bolded out better options for the Academy if you wanna talk black people in the industry. And in the recent years the Academy Awards have done nothing but add more diversity. But they still (for the most part) stuck with quality. Get Out is no different than your every year blown out horror/thriller that does more than the usual, and does that in a drained landscape with almost no competition.

I'm honestly getting sick and tired of all these obscure poorly driven agendas. Sure there are issues but ffs have some patience. Nothing is done over night. And by becoming impatient you starting having these ridiculous extreme reactions where you go all crazy when someone challenges the actual quality of a movie like Get Out and then pull up the race card and even go as far as insisting that the Academy should nominate that movie for diversity simply because it's a black movie or whatever the fuck that means. Completely ignoring the fact that people here are discussing the actual quality of the film.

And when you realize you actually do have better options yet you talk about Get Out, I do believe you're more of a troll than a serious poster. Because how can you be so "pro-black" and "anti-white" and transform everything into a race issue when you are not even aware of the ACTUAL real Academy contenders coming from black filmmakers and actors alike. It's ridiculous because I'm doing a better job of actually supporting the black folks in the industry by actually supporting their quality works. Because the difference is that I don't see colors because what's the point in looking at colors? Who fucking cares anyway? It's 2017 and things are already changing for the better for years now. I'm looking mostly at quality because quality > insert word.

m4st4 wrote:
bootsy wrote:And lol at you and others that dismiss Get Out but don't dismiss mediocre white films that get nominated ALL THE TIME. And Get Out is definitely not mediocre.
First of all, the term 'white film' is heartbreaking when you think about it, since it approaches the medium of FILM through a sociopolitical and racial lens. I'd like to thank the majority of the Academy, who are white, old, farts - in that order. Second, I don't think anybody here dismisses Get Out, everyone with at least a bit of sense applauds its strengths. Third, continuing on that, those same people regularly bash the Academy for nominating conservative bores, that also win most of the time. Moonlight won because it was a great FILM, first and foremost, I'd like to believe it was mostly because of that, but we all know it wasn't since the year before it was a disaster for diversity.

And that's the thing, as long as we're approaching Academy Awards, or any other award, through that sociopolitical/racial lens, the movie industry won't progress from the ground up: better scripts for hard working actors, more job opportunities, more diversity as a Hollywood standard... and in the end more FILMS, instead of racial checkboxes. I really appreciate the way LucasFilm/Disney has been doing it with Star Wars post-George Lucas era. Diversity on such massive property is important.

But that's like saying I want world piece, it won't happen on a grand scale. Small wins like Moonlight are important, nominating movies that aren't deserving of the place isn't. But, then again, if Academy Awards can give gold to Crash, I guess nominating Get Out wouldn't be the end of this earth.
Michaelf2225 wrote:i’d be very much in support of an original screenplay nom
This. I could get behind a script nomination, along with the lead actor nomination.
So much this m4, stop being so shortsighted bootsy damn.

Nomis here's what you don't know. :oops:

Bootsy is the guy that claimed that I'm listening to hiphop because I wish to be black.
Spert is probably Apocalypse's second account since that guy always brought up the race card numerous times and made some obvious racist remarks before getting the boot for it.

Says it all.

lmfao I'm not surprised RIFA

Bootsy needs to take a chill pill. He's done this before.

Wonder Woman had an Indian in it.

He's back.
Last edited by MyCocaine on August 4th, 2017, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nomis wrote:
m4st4 wrote:
bootsy wrote:And lol at you and others that dismiss Get Out but don't dismiss mediocre white films that get nominated ALL THE TIME. And Get Out is definitely not mediocre.
First of all, the term 'white film' is heartbreaking when you think about it, since it approaches the medium of FILM through a sociopolitical and racial lens. I'd like to thank the majority of the Academy, who are white, old, farts - in that order. Second, I don't think anybody here dismisses Get Out, everyone with at least a bit of sense applauds its strengths. Third, continuing on that, those same people regularly bash the Academy for nominating conservative bores, that also win most of the time. Moonlight won because it was a great FILM, first and foremost, I'd like to believe it was mostly because of that, but we all know it wasn't since the year before it was a disaster for diversity.

And that's the thing, as long as we're approaching Academy Awards, or any other award, through that sociopolitical/racial lens, the movie industry won't progress from the ground up: better scripts for hard working actors, more job opportunities, more diversity as a Hollywood standard... and in the end more FILMS, instead of racial checkboxes. I really appreciate the way LucasFilm/Disney has been doing it with Star Wars post-George Lucas era. Diversity on such massive property is important.

But that's like saying I want world piece, it won't happen on a grand scale. Small wins like Moonlight are important, nominating movies that aren't deserving of the place isn't. But, then again, if Academy Awards can give gold to Crash, I guess nominating Get Out wouldn't be the end of this earth.
Michaelf2225 wrote:i’d be very much in support of an original screenplay nom
This. I could get behind a script nomination, along with the lead actor nomination.
So much this m4, stop being so shortsighted bootsy damn.
Please, stop being short sighted my ass. You don't know a damn thing about me. m4 made a pretty well thought out rebuttal even if I don't agree with everything he said. You made a typical bullshit 'Get Out doesn't deserve an Oscar nomination because of diversity' statement which is complete bullshit and moved on. You didn't think anyone was going to call you out on it. And then going to piggyback off of m4 give me a break. I meant what I said to you and not taking it back. If any one is being short sighted IT'S YOU!

Bootsy emerge from the shadows only to spread hatred and his racist views.

We've been down this road many times before. He Is beyond reach.