Aladdin (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
ArmandFancypants wrote:
Master Virgo wrote:Thoughts on Snatch?£
Nil. It does nothing for me.

Yeah, Snatch is awesome.

Will Smith In Talks For Genie Role In Disney’s Live-Action ‘Aladdin’
Will Smith is in talks to take on the genie role made famous by the late Robin Williams in Disney’s live-action Aladdin from Guy Ritchie, we hear. The adaptation of the animated feature follows the studio’s strategy of bringing its classic animated titles to life and so far it has been a goldmine, most recently with Beauty and the Beast which has already grossed over $1B worldwide. Smith had previously been in talks with Tim Burton about Dumbo but that did not materialize and we’re told these talks are also early.

Like Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin will be a live-action musical and that would fit well with Smith who is not only an actor but was known to the world for his musical prowess as The Fresh Prince rapper before he hit the little or big screen. The production is gearing up for a long, six-month shoot, so that is one consideration. It is supposed to start in the U.K. in July and wrap early next year.

John August (Big Fish) scripted the story based on the 1992 animated classic and follows the story of Aladdin and Princess Jasmine after the commoner Aladdin finds a magic lamp and, upon shining it up, a genie is released from being trapped inside. The bigger-than-life genie then grants Aladdin three wishes.

The newly re-imagined project is being produced by Dan Lin and Jonathan Eirich.

#nope

I think it could be fine. No Robin Williams, for sure, but not a bad choice.

I'd be okay with that.

Williams tho :cry: :cry: :cry:

Inglehart is still my dream pick, though it definitely won't happen.

will smith as will smith? no thanks

Disney are remaking their own films so on principle I won't be watching this. I could be persuaded to watch a different version of Aladdin but not another one by Disney that only pays hommage to the Disney animated film. The story of Aladdin is not owned by Disney and I am ready for a different take, especially considering how the 90s animated film did not really tell the original story faithfully. It's like a corporation telling itself 'you did good and everyone needs to know how good your animated classic was, so good that it deserves its own live-action remake'....nope, you won't be getting my money, Disney (especially afer what they did with beauty and the Beast) and if they keep this up I'm likely to lose all interest in any other projects that they have, be they animated or live action. You can tell I can't stand the cult of Disney.

Will Smith would actually be a good pick.

My main concern is how are they going to achieve Genie in live action? Cgi/mo-cap? Will he be blue? Or will it look like a weak Nickelodeon TV show?