The Crown (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
lololol

Also, just finished season 3

The last two episodes were fantastic. Like the Aberfan and Prince of Wales episodes. Like I said before, the first episode is a bit of a slog but it improves.

The performances were fantastic and I loved the cinematography of episode 9, great work.

It's just so weird to think that the biggest things are still to come. Especially how the characters handle Charles and Camilla in this season and their own perspective on their own lives, know what I mean?

I love this show so much, I'm stoked for season 4. And I'm sad the 5th one will be the last...

Finally started Season 3 and it is *incredible* but struggling with the recasting. The first two episodes take place one year after Season 2 ends, yet the actors and actresses are 10-20 years older than these people were at the time. Especially Carter. She's playing someone in their mid 30s while she's in her mid 50s.

As I said to Teddy, It would be like if you recast Rey as someone 20 years older than Daisy Ridley for the one year gap between TLJ and TROS. It's honestly very jarring.

Am I alone?

-Vader

same thing with nymphomaniac. going from the young actress to charlotte gainsbourg (without shia laboeuf being recast!) was wildly distracting. which is a shame cause i love the film otherwise

Vader182 wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 11:02 pm
Finally started Season 3 and it is *incredible* but struggling with the recasting. The first two episodes take place one year after Season 2 ends, yet the actors and actresses are 10-20 years older than these people were at the time. Especially Carter. She's playing someone in their mid 30s while she's in her mid 50s.

As I said to Teddy, It would be like if you recast Rey as someone 20 years older than Daisy Ridley for the one year gap between TLJ and TROS. It's honestly very jarring.

Am I alone?

-Vader
Definitely not alone on that one. The series is still incredible but not on par with s01/s02 due to recasting.

Still, fresh blood gives it life (Charles episodes in particular) and I presume Diana in s04 will be a new gust of wind for The Crown, especially now that they seemingly expanded it, perhaps due to realizing it works even better than anticipated.

Huh that's weird. I sort of thought Charles was grown up at the start of season 3, but iirc he doesn't really enter the scene until a few episodes in.

Still though, Foy had to pass for an older Elizabeth in season 2, we'll get the same issue when they go from Colman to Staunton.

As for Diana and Thatcher coming to the show at the end of the year, I can't wait! Anderson is a gem and the actress playing Diana resembles her a lot, I'm sure she's going to make a dashing impression as her.

Ace

Ace wrote:
August 16th, 2020, 2:15 pm
Ok, now I'll start watching this show.