The Crown (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
seems like this has been delayed awhile but looks dope
Last edited by Disney+'s solo2001 on December 3rd, 2020, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Not delayed, just coming later in the year. November, I think.

Looks great. After Wolf Hall and now this, Claire Foy is looking like the real deal. A proper actress.

Allstar wrote:Looks great. After Wolf Hall and now this, Claire Foy is looking like the real deal. A proper actress.
Agree, just finished Wolf Hall, was terrific!

Looks superb. Hopefully another great depiction of this extraordinary bloodline.

A few people have tread on familiar ground here.

Jared Harris has played Henry VIII
Claire Foy has played Anne Boleyn
Alex Jennings has played Prince Charles
Eileen Atkins has played Eleanor of Aquitaine

Morgan's treatment of Elizabeth has been fairly excellent as far as I can tell in the past so let's have at it.

ArmandFancypants wrote:Looks superb. Hopefully another great depiction of this extraordinary bloodline.

A few people have tread on familiar ground here.

Jared Harris has played Henry VIII
Claire Foy has played Anne Boleyn
Alex Jennings has played Prince Charles
Eileen Atkins has played Eleanor of Aquitaine

Morgan's treatment of Elizabeth has been fairly excellent as far as I can tell in the past so let's have at it.
The only casting I find bizarre is Lithgow as Churchill, I really like Ligthgow but that seems like a miscast.

It's fine. Lithgow is like Kelsey Grammer or John Huston - there's that kind of patrician aspect to their accent that allows them to get around an English accent. It's less obvious than say, someone like Timothy Spall, but then Spall is perhaps (oddly) the worst part of The King's Speech. It can't be too broad.

Obviously it's not the same mob making this but James Cromwell nailed playing Phil the Greek in The Queen. So there's a nice precedent.

And Jeremy Northam as an ineffectual bozo is perfect casting. As, of course, is Matt Smith as a pompous blowhard who says whatever he thinks and damns the consequences.

Harris seems like really odd casting as George VI though - someone so haggard playing someone so, well, not.

really looking forward to this