Box Office Dojo

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
looking forward to the sequel then lol

Pretty interesting the fact, that Ragnarok has managed to make almost as much as Homecoming and Vol. 2, worldwide, considering the direct competition it had to face against League.£

I'm starting to think, The Last Jedi will not be the number 1 movie of the year. It might not get past Beauty and the Beast or Fast and Furious.

Location: 'Taked baby. Meet at later bar, night or day sometime
LelekPL wrote:I'm starting to think, The Last Jedi will not be the number 1 movie of the year. It might not get past Beauty and the Beast or Fast and Furious.
It's not that surprising. Civil War beat Rouge One last year. Star Wars isn't that big in Asia which is pretty much needed to be number 1 of the year. Force Awakens was a fluke. It made 45% of it's total in the U.S. which is insane in this day and age.

Looking at franchise history numbers, it’s going to be a top tier entry for sure.

Mantis Toboggan wrote:
LelekPL wrote:I'm starting to think, The Last Jedi will not be the number 1 movie of the year. It might not get past Beauty and the Beast or Fast and Furious.
It's not that surprising. Civil War beat Rouge One last year. Star Wars isn't that big in Asia which is pretty much needed to be number 1 of the year. Force Awakens was a fluke. It made 45% of it's total in the U.S. which is insane in this day and age.
Well Fast & Furious is more popular overseas, probably Marvel as well. But still, SW is pretty popular around the world. Not as much in America, but still very popular (Poland is still pretty much indifferent to SW other than a relatively small group of fans but it's getting more popular nowadays with kids with the Disney movies and the HUGE marketing push). Force Awakens, a fluke or not, did manage to earn over a billion overseas. Rogue One did much less but that was expected. To see this one doing closer to Rogue One numbers is suprising. I thought it's going to be somewhere in the middle and now it looks it won't make that much more than RO. I mean their second weekends are almost identical.

Location: 'Taked baby. Meet at later bar, night or day sometime
I wouldn't take the second weekend comparison to seriously cause Christmas Eve slows business down and Christmas day (which was on Rouge One's second Sunday last year) is the busiest day of the year. The Last Jedi will make more today than it did any day this weekend.

^ This. We’ll know for sure post-Monday.

It should also be noted that as far as Lucasfilm is concerned, domestic totals are a much more valuable number than foreign ones. It's pretty much assured to be the top grossing domestic film of the year since it's already #3 and will pass Wonder Woman by tomorrow, and likely B&B by the first week of 2018. It'll touch both internationally as well, if not surpass them by a small margin.

Small margin?! It will surpass Wonder Woman globally in a matter of a day or two.£