Physical media vs. Digital media

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Like I said, almost no one I knows buy movies digitally. They either get the DVD (most common for the people in my city) or Blu-Ray. Hopefully it stays that way. Granted, the month long wait that companies are giving Blu-Rays to come out after Digital HD is absolutely disgusting.

I still like physical a lot more. I like collecting books and buying movies that I love.

I mostly buy my blu rays at Half Price books now for $10 bucks so I'm not spending a fortune on blu rays. I usually just buy books on a whim most of the time.

Right now I just can't fathom dropping $19 on a digital movie that I'm not guaranteed to own. I've read stories of people's digital media libraries just disappearing or they don't have access to their purchases anymore. I also can't read a book on a screen. I spend so much time reading news articles and other stuff on my laptop and phone that sometimes my eyes just need a break from the screen.

In all honesty, I've converted to digital media. Through digital, you don't have the trouble of clicking through the menus, putting the disc in and taking it out, trying to find the remote, etc. The only times I'll buy a Blu-ray is for grand scale, gorgeous looking movies like The Revenant or Life of Pi or Mad Max, not a small film like Room or Money Monster. Plus, it takes up space in your house and digital copies are cheaper. And even if you still want to watch a movie on your TV, get a HDMI cable and plug it in to your computer. There is not a whole lot wrong with Digital Media.

For movies, physical. I just prefer having a physical case with the disc. But i don't mind digital media co-existing with physical media as well.

Cinema > Home Theater (whether it's a Physical or Digital copy)

BlairCo wrote:In all honesty, I've converted to digital media. Through digital, you don't have the trouble of clicking through the menus, putting the disc in and taking it out, trying to find the remote, etc. The only times I'll buy a Blu-ray is for grand scale, gorgeous looking movies like The Revenant or Life of Pi or Mad Max, not a small film like Room or Money Monster. Plus, it takes up space in your house and digital copies are cheaper. And even if you still want to watch a movie on your TV, get a HDMI cable and plug it in to your computer. There is not a whole lot wrong with Digital Media.
Oh yeah. How awful that we spend a whole 90 seconds doing all that....

Also, I don't have a way of reaching an HDMI cable from my desktop to my main TV without stretching the cord across several rooms or moving my entire rig. That's an issue.

PLUS, I wouldn't say digital copies are cheaper. I see Blu-Rays going for the same price (or even cheaper sometimes) than their digital counterparts.

Well since Bacon is living in 1958 I can see why he opposes digital media. Fair points.

-Vader

I think he means VOD is cheaper on the day of release, with blu-rays you have to wait for the price drops. Plus VOD mostly releases even a whole month in advance, which might change your future plans ('Why should I buy this twice?').

Edit: @Vader, not a fair point and you know it.

But if I go to Target or other stores day of release, most Blu-Rays are discounted to about 19.99 or even 16.99. Isn't that the same price most digital releases cost?

I use iTunes and there are sales all the time. I recently just purchased The Lobster for $10 in HD. When Knight of Cups was released, the next week, it was $10 in HD as well. You're all arguing against it because you're purists and because you grew up with a home theatre, but I'm not saying home theatre should go away. There's a craft to setting up how you want to see your movie and hear your movie through your home theatre system, and that's something I deeply respect. However, I'm not going to blast my speakers over a movie like Pawn Sacrifice. It all comes down to a matter of preference.
Bacon wrote:Also, I don't have a way of reaching an HDMI cable from my desktop to my main TV without stretching the cord across several rooms or moving my entire rig. That's an issue.
I'm talking about laptops, not desktop computers. And even for an iPhone, you can purchase a HDMI to Lightning connect and it works just as fine.