Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
miami vice is like that odd case where normally i would hate its plot and it frequently borders on cringe, but it also has this magnetic pull on me... so i ...like it? love it? idk

also i live for the aesthetic of this film lol

4N Legend wrote:
April 12th, 2020, 4:06 pm
Vader182 wrote:
April 12th, 2020, 3:46 pm
4N Legend wrote:
April 12th, 2020, 3:32 pm
Miami Vice
This is odd but this has cracked my top 25 all time. Probably one of the best romantic movies I've ever seen. This really is an early Malick type of movie packed with intense moments like that of a Safdie movie.

Outstanding stuff. Time to go on a Mann binge
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Vader
Really glad I caught your article, I skimmed through a few lines and once you said it was Malickian, that's all I needed to know. The plot overall is bonkers, like half of it doesn't work but that seems to be the point, no? I mean fuck, the texture, color, the rawness, and the imperfections of this film really just blows me away.
Thank you. I did my best in my piece not just to acknowledge its flaws, but to celebration them.

Ruth wrote:
April 12th, 2020, 4:25 pm
miami vice is like that odd case where normally i would hate its plot and it frequently borders on cringe, but it also has this magnetic pull on me... so i ...like it? love it? idk

also i live for the aesthetic of this film lol
This is exactly the thing. No movie feels, or looks, quite like Miami Vice. The plot, in a way, just becomes another texture. So does the dialogue.

https://vaguevisages.com/2020/04/10/mov ... ami-vice/

My piece again for anyone who missed it and is curious. Spoilers don't start until "In tragedy and inevitability, Isabella and Crockett’s.."

-Vader

Gong Li and Colin Farrell tho

wish they got kids together

2017's The Snowman
It's very poorly made. Scenes start and scenes stop at random points. The opening is particularly an editing disaster. Opaque characters (it probably doesn't help they based this on the 7th novel in a series...how is anybody supposed to know what's going on character-wise with the continuing characters before that without being shown and told?) A stupid plot and red herrings that didn't fool me because I called the killer partway through the movie for no good logical and good setup reason, it was that
he was behaving way too damn nice and helpful compared to the other characters
. Some nice cinematography and the middle of the movie where it remembers to attempt to be a thriller was the high point, but those aspects are like being the king of an anthill. Famously the director of The Snowman and Tinker Tailor (another movie I didn't like but wasn't the disaster that this is) said they didn't shoot like 10-15% of the script. All the talent on board came out the worse for it in the end. I know Fassbender has often lacked charisma in his work anyway but this is probably the nadir of that here. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: (out of a max of :thumbup: :thumbup: )

From the Life of the Marionettes

its nice to be reminded why bergman's at the top

finally did a woman under the influence and it is one of the best movies ive ever seen

cassavetes basically created a genre unto himself

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 6:26 pm
Sweet Smell of Success fucking rules

"I'd hate to take a bite outta you. You're a cookie full of arsenic."

-Vader
Alexander Mackendrick was the greatest of all Ealing comedy directors, without a doubt. One would think the guy who directed Kind Hearts and Coronets to be the best of the bunch, but no it was the guy who directed Whisky Galore!

Cassavates's films are something else. I remember watching LOVE STREAMS and be totally floored by it. And Gena Rowlands, hell, one of the fucking best.

Out of a max of :thumbup: :thumbup:

The Woods (2006) :thumbup:
horror

I realized I saw this a long time ago around the time it came out. It plays to the same type of story as Argento’s Suspiria though it’s not as good. Other movies bearing a conceptual similarity are The Blackcoat’s Daughter and lesser works like Argento’s Phenomena and The Moth Diaries and Down a Dark Hall and another movie below because they all take place in an all girls school.

Miss Bala (2019) :thumbup: :thumbdown:
drama/thriller

The Buddy Holly Story (1978) :thumbup:
biopic

I saw this on broadcast TV a lot when I was quite younger, and I still like it.

Brightburn (2019) :thumbup: :thumbdown:
horror

Level 16 (2018) :thumbup: :thumbup:
horror (science-fiction, suspense)

Surprisingly good. I thought it would've been just another run-of-the-mill low budget horror or thriller/suspense movie like so many others I see on Netflix and elsewhere but it was better than that. It's like a feminist low-budget version of
Michael Bay's The Island and Handmaid's Tale
that mostly takes place at single location 'girl school' but I was impressed with the character relationships (both antagonistic and positive) and intrigue along the way. The story moved along at a good clip and ended pretty well I thought. I'll let the usage of the two different languages slide.

Bad Times at El Royale - 2018

Knives Out - 2019