Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
hi

hello

Always wanted to bring this up, but I didn't because I figured it's been discussed somewhere.

Like, in TDK after Bats drives his pod straight at Joker and then deliberately misses him and crashes into the collapsed truck, Ledger clearly turns around and says "fuck", but they obviously edited it to make it sound like he's smacking his lips because think of the children! And it just made me wonder like just how hard or dark Ledger went with it but because Nolan is such a worthless hack it was cut out or left on the cutting room floor.

bye

Cilogy wrote:
October 19th, 2019, 2:19 pm
hi

hello

Always wanted to bring this up, but I didn't because I figured it's been discussed somewhere.

Like, in TDK after Bats drives his pod straight at Joker and then deliberately misses him and crashes into the collapsed truck, Ledger clearly turns around and says "fuck", but they obviously edited it to make it sound like he's smacking his lips because think of the children! And it just made me wonder like just how hard or dark Ledger went with it but because Nolan is such a worthless hack it was cut out or left on the cutting room floor.

bye
Doesn’t Nolan also do a “soft” censor when McConaughey says “fucking” or “god damn” once in Interstellar? I don’t remember which curse word it was, but I remember hearing the volume dip down a bit when he said it, so that the impact was especially soft.

ChristNolan wrote:
October 19th, 2019, 2:29 pm
Cilogy wrote:
October 19th, 2019, 2:19 pm
hi

hello

bye
Doesn’t Nolan also do a “soft” censor when McConaughey says “fucking” or “god damn” once in Interstellar? I don’t remember which curse word it was, but I remember hearing the volume dip down a bit when he said it, so that the impact was especially soft.

Because in his f--king arrogance....he considered them useless.

2 fucks in Interstellar and Nolan got away with 3 in Dunkirk using the same trick which is the craziest thing.

The Last Black Man in San Francisco (2019)

This might be my favorite of the year so far. Very quirky and funny at times. Some elements are borrowed from Spike Lee but that is a homage to him. I've never been to San Francisco and didn't know that it's seen it's share of gentrification. The film explains this but keeps it's focus to the story of the movie as well. Beautiful cinematography and good acting by Fails and Majors especially as the two main characters. Good debut from Joe Talbot. Another good one from A24 as well.

The lost city of Z;
It may be a bit too long, but every scene is great so what can you cut? Loved it. Such a great take on the subject by Gray. All the actors are great, just a bit sad Spidey doesn't get to meet the Emperor. Hunnam's character is filled with ambiguity. He thrives to be a progressive man, but in the end he's still a man of his time. Miller is great too.
My third James Gray and I cried for each. This time, it's the scene when
he wakes up in the hospital and he cries not because his children are there but because he may never go back to the jungle...
There is a sincerity in the pain that Gray describes that just clicks with me. I'll have to watch the rest of his filmography, but he's definitely becoming one of my favourite current filmmakers.

Pan's Labyrinth (2006) - I hadn't seen this movie for a while and what a pleasure it was to revisit this again. The colors and cinematography are so rich and beautiful. The underlying storyline of Captain Vidal and his men against the rebels is a nice change of pace to Ofelia's fantasies that they work so well together. This is my favorite GDT film.

Anna (2019) - When I saw the trailer for this and what I got when actually watching this movie was not expected but it turns out that I wasn't disappointed. I enjoyed this because I was expecting a femme fatale type movie and what I got was not an all out action movie. The main character played by Sasha Luss was a decent performance. First time I'd seen her in a film. Mirren, Murphy and even Luke Evans were good as supporting characters.
The flashback scenes were confusing at first because they jumped forward and back and back and forth a few times but once they filled in the gaps everything made sense. Maybe a little too much for it's own good with the Helen Mirren being behind everything after all the other twists before that.

The Phantom Carriage

This was so litty titty. I liked how the film did the flashbacks within a flashbacks thing and the effects with the carriage and double exposure were hella tight.

^ Masterpiece

Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1992) - worse than ant man

Ruth wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 4:46 pm
Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1992) - worse than ant man
yeah but does ant man have Monica Bellucci titties tho?