Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Shadow's not nearly as good as Hero, the first act is way too slow and it sorta fizzles out, but the second act of this is fucking amazing

the whole thing is super beautiful

-Vader

^Can't wait to watch.

Plan was to watch House of Flying Daggers and Curse of the Golden Flower before Shadow, but don't think I'll get time.

This has been the biggest documentary in Poland right now and it's free on youtube. It's about acts of pedophilia in the catholic church. There are some horrifying and incriminating interviews with the priests in it.

Interestingly, this documentary comes right after a feature film "Clergy" about the same topic has been the biggest box office hit in Poland last year.

The film doesn't really tell us anything we didn't know already, but a lot of the testimonies are really hard to watch. It's super uncomfortable.

LelekPL wrote:
May 15th, 2019, 7:29 am

This has been the biggest documentary in Poland right now and it's free on youtube. It's about acts of pedophilia in the catholic church. There are some horrifying and incriminating interviews with the priests in it.

Interestingly, this documentary comes right after a feature film "Clergy" about the same topic has been the biggest box office hit in Poland last year.

The film doesn't really tell us anything we didn't know already, but a lot of the testimonies are really hard to watch. It's super uncomfortable.
I can't shake a feeling that the entire discussion about pedophilia, not just in Poland, but in entire western civilization, is used to attack relligion. Everyone clearly forgets that this crime happened EVERYWHERE, not just there.
It is just... not right.
And no, I am not a devote catholic.

Long Day’s Journey Into Night- so this is technical wonder, as if Tarkovsky and Wong Kar Wai co-directed a neo noir and half the movie was one of the most impressive oners in cinema history, all the more impressive in 3D.

If this is playing near you, seek it out. It’s magic.

-Vader

thanks for the heads up

I'm seeing it tomorrow! Super excited for this!

John Wick Chapter 3: Parabellum

Incredibly fun time at the cinema if you’re a fan of the franchise or just a fan of violent action movies in general. Some of the most creative and satisfying choreographed action scenes I’ve seen. The tone of the film carries those B-Movie sentiments with it proudly with some hilarious (albeit at times cringey) one liners.

Overall, it is probably third in the trilogy pecking order due to some clunky pacing, more cringey one liners than the past two, and some whacky plot logic in what’s a fairly straight forward simple story (which makes the whacky logic stand out more). However, it has some amazing action sequences that stands out even among the many awesome ones in the series.

8/10

The Graduate

Top notch even if I feel the last 20-30 minutes are a little all over the place. It redeems itself with it's ending.

Vader182 wrote:
May 11th, 2019, 11:55 pm
Shadow's not nearly as good as Hero, the first act is way too slow and it sorta fizzles out, but the second act of this is fucking amazing

the whole thing is super beautiful

-Vader
It made me appreciate umbrellas even more.