Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
dafox wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 12:48 am
Cilogy wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 2:14 pm
yea but

Vertigo tho?
Not all of us have their parents pay for their advanced degrees so I don't blame myself at all for getting high and making overly sentimental and detailed posts relating movies/art/life after dealing with all of the strains of being a destitute student. I guess my "problem" is that I don't take this place seriously enough to be embarrassed by relating art to personal experiences. That was the content of the video I posted btw. I've liked/used to like some of you over the years but I really do regret ever having an internet life since even a site dedicated to a filmmaker I adore has too much boring garbage and too little meaningful discussion, sorry about trying to have some more of the latter. Don't feign sanctimony either since we all know that this place only exists because the internet is too addicting and old habits die hard. Have fun trolling other people hundreds/thousands of miles away.
you're right I do go through the motions on this shit it's rather pathetic

I come here and think I'm funny or cynical as shit but its all sorta played out. Like, I'm not surprising anyone or making anyone laugh anymore, so why do I even come back here. I guess old habits, as you said.

Damn dude I'm almost 30, it's fucking time I grew up.

but truly I am sorry, I didn't mean to upset you fox

for the record I like you very much and I've always respected you a lot

Both of you are awesome and among the things this place needs more of.£

Master Virgo wrote:
March 1st, 2019, 4:53 am
Both of you are awesome and among the things this place needs more of.£

The Uninvited (1944)

This was a great mood piece with lots of great atmosphere and with some occasional levity as well. However, no way am I going to buy that a music critic at any point in History could earn enough money to buy a house like that, though I'd be happy to be proven wrong about that.

Night of the Demon (1957)

Now this is a fairly unusual horror film in my opinion because generally magic is not in and of itself framed as something scary. However, when demons get involved, that's when it becomes more understandably creepy. I especially enjoyed the performance of Mr. MacGinnis in this film as Dr. Karlswell. The film also plays with the viewer's perception of events because the instances where the demon does appear are also framed in a way that supernatural causes could well be excluded as an explanation but the film never outright confirms this and one is left wondering whether the characters just convinced themselves that something extraordinary happened or whether demons actually appeared. The movie takes place mostly at night, which lends the film an eerie mood and a spooky atmosphere and even the daytime scenes at Dr. Karlswell's house become unsettling.

Widows (2018)

The goddess Viola was amazing in this, but the film itself, sort of feels like half of it has been left in the editing room. Or rather half of it should have been, can't really decide which one. I think I would have preferred to see a movie completely centered on these women, rather than the convoluted political nonsense that was going on.£

The political nonsense in that film was way too on the nose. I thought Debicki was the MVP.

Good Night, and Good Luck (2005) - why the heck did I just found out about this film so recently. It’s great. I was surprised by how short it was - it goes straight to the point and doesn’t meander around. I’m well aware of McCarthyism, yet always manage to get surprised by the sheer ridiculousness of the whole thing. I felt bad for cringing throughout his archival speeches, but goddammit. Clooney’s last attempts were misses, but he’s one of the actors I wish would attempt directing in the future again.

Prince of Darkness: I didn't really like this, one of the lesser films of Carpenters. It was just so unconvincing... I think he did a better job with establishing a mythology of some sort with Escape from New York and The Fog, to name two.

eXistenZ: A fun sci-fi with entertaining performances of most of the cast. I think this is one of the lesser films of Cronenberg overall but that same sort of wackiness is very much intact in here. It's fun watching films from the 90s that are about virtual realities, like this and Strange Days. This deserves a better blu-ray btw.

The Favourite: Finally saw this, very captivating, fun, wild and also touching. Lanthimos is on a roll. I loved this film visually as well, gorgeous costumes, cinematography, great use of the idiotic wide lenses and the production design was top notch. It's a very well made film with pitch perfect performances. Colman commands the screen, Weisz, Stone and Hoult were great too.

i couldn't fuck with prince of darkness either but there's some elements i like

-Vader

Which ones? I liked Pleasance' performance and the way they used
the video and brought that back to the end.