Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Saw Never Rarely Sometimes Always, The Kid Detective, and Nomadland last night. T'was a good day.

Vader182 wrote:
January 18th, 2021, 4:32 am
Promising Young Woman-
The climax undermines just about everything else this was trying to say.

-Vader
Gotta say the climax of this film really misses the mark.

Durden wrote:
January 19th, 2021, 4:25 pm
Vader182 wrote:
Promising Young Woman-

-Vader
How so?

Allstar wrote:
January 19th, 2021, 5:58 pm
Durden wrote:
January 19th, 2021, 4:25 pm
Vader182 wrote:
Promising Young Woman-

-Vader
How so?
For me its mostly on tone and some pretty big plot conveniences like the text messages hitting at the perfect time. Also The film made it clear that authority figures are not to be trusted with holding these men to account, yet it also seems to believe that cops of all people should be trusted to bring justice at the end. I think after
her death
are the weakest parts of the film.

The first two acts have little things that bother me as well but Mulligan is one of my faves of the year and its undeniably enjoyable.

Durden wrote:
January 19th, 2021, 6:23 pm
For me its mostly on tone and some pretty big plot conveniences like the text messages hitting at the perfect time. Also The film made it clear that authority figures are not to be trusted with holding these men to account, yet it also seems to believe that cops of all people should be trusted to bring justice at the end. I think after
her death
are the weakest parts of the film.

The first two acts have little things that bother me as well but Mulligan is one of my faves of the year and its undeniably enjoyable.
I’d agree the timing of the police making the arrest was very convenient but Cassie knew the date and time of the wedding. I’m not sure if there was anything else there but sometimes police want to make a big showing of arresting someone for a horrific crime so they may have purposely waited for the wedding to make a public arrest as seen on The Outsider for example, I went with it because it was too amusing of a sequence. Also the wedding was only 4 days after the murder, all happened quick. I’ve seen the police point brought up to me but Al was arrested for murder, not rape. People can often get away with rape but almost impossible to get away with murder and that’s exactly what happened with Al. I don’t think the arrest by police contradicts anything imo. Anyway, those are just my thoughts, I loved the film even more than I expected but I also understand why the 3rd act and elements of it has been divisive and off putting for some.

Another Round is very great. Mads is amazing. One of best of the year.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
January 19th, 2021, 7:26 pm
Another Round is very great. Mads is amazing. One of best of the year.

-Vader
Thought about watching this but just wasn't quite sure but I've seen too many people say it's very good so I will definitely need to see this at some point.

Does anyone know if they ever recorded and preserved old broadway plays? For example, after having recently watched the film The Philadelphia Story, I did some research and discovered that Katherine Hepburn was also in the broadway version prior to the film's release. I think it would be fascinating to see some of these amazing actors from that era honing their craft on the stage.

I, Tonya (2017)
I forgot how much I had enjoyed this film in cinemas when it came out. Still love Robbie's performance in this and the ice skating is very impressive also. The acting's solid all around and I enjoy the writing and it was not a story I was familiar with.

Saw Perfect Blue and Paprika for the first time recently, and I'm on that Satoshi Kon hype.
I can't wait to check out Millennium Actress.