Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Godfather III is a mess but has a lot going for it, especially if you can forget about the first two. Lots of orange and pink in it, if I recall.

Once Duvall bounced they probably should have scrapped the whole thing.

I'm hoping maybe someone will try again with The Godfather someday. A new trilogy of films based on the original novel or better yet a television series adaptation would be interesting.

Godfather III has the confession scene and the ending scene with Al Pacino going for it and that's about it.

m4st4 wrote:
May 29th, 2020, 8:22 am
ArmandFancypants wrote:
May 29th, 2020, 3:29 am
m4st4 wrote:
May 28th, 2020, 11:26 am
Peggy Sue Got Married... Loved it so much. It's like BTTF sans the immediate SF and with more character depth. Kathleen Turner deserved an Oscar for this one damn it.
Melancholy late-80s Coppola is endlessly fascinating.
Should I watch Tucker?

Just finished Part III and I thought it was actually pretty good. Controversial opinion time, Sofia did nothing wrong. She balances Pacino's overdramatization with innocence and sincerity. Perhaps not actor's sincerity, but her own for sure.

It's also, expectedly, beautiful to look at and rich in texture. A fitting, if unnecessary epilogue.

Edit: the scream is one of those all time great cinematic moments that haunt you, with its artistic beauty, and great pain that they carry.
Absolutely go for Tucker. Presages the SW prequels in quite a few ways, wonderful performance from Bridges and a great score from the legendary Joe Jackson. A great and unsung "sad film that feels like a happy film"

ArmandFancypants wrote:
May 30th, 2020, 6:20 am
Absolutely go for Tucker. Presages the SW prequels in quite a few ways, wonderful performance from Bridges and a great score from the legendary Joe Jackson. A great and unsung "sad film that feels like a happy film"
On it, thanks. That and The Rainmaker (1997) are next in line.

Meanwhile, as a wannabe sugar dose on the side, I decided to watch Spy Kids.

What a trash. I mean, Rodriguez had his share of bumpy rides but mostly he's a decent director with plenty of four stars on his belt. But this is just... I couldn't finish it, which rarely happens to me. Gave it one star on letterboxd. :facepalm:

Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman series

I've watched several of these the last couple of days and they're pretty damn entertaining. There is like 25 films and a Japanese TV series, too. Great stuff if you like Samurai films.

First rewatch in 6-7 years. Least favorite Cameron film but it does have its moments.

Main thing that stuck with me is how dated the CGI already looks. Some creatures especially look painfully bad. And the whole thing has a cartoon feel...

Now Where Was I ? wrote:
May 30th, 2020, 8:31 pm

First rewatch in 6-7 years. Least favorite Cameron film but it does have its moments.

Main thing that stuck with me is how dated the CGI already looks. Some creatures especially look painfully bad. And the whole thing has a cartoon feel...
Pandora itself and the primary avatar characters all still look photorealistic and hold up shockingly well. In 3D especially, it's mesmerizing.

But there's a lot of the peripheral stuff that's spotty. The side character avatars and creatures are definitely not great.

Still adore Avatar tho.

-Vader

It (2017) - 9/10 - as a huge fan of the book, I still enjoyed this a lot. I love Skarsgard as Pennywise and the cast as a whole was solid. Still one of my favorites from that year.

It Chapter 2 - 6.5/10 - I like the casting, but it treads way to much on Marvel like humor. While I liked the pacing of the first film a lot, this one is really disjointed and to long. They used way to much CGI when going for the scares which really didn’t help. I’m guessing that missing Fukunaga’s involvement (no matter what the capacity) didn’t do the film any favors.

bobross is mycocaine confirmed

The Bridges of Madison County

Masterpiece.