Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
So far:
1. The Grand Budapest Hotel
2. Fantastic Mr. Fox
3. The Darjeeling Limited
4. Moonrise Kingdom
5. Rushmore

The first 3 are on such an equal level for me that it's hard to rank them. I'm surprised how little people seem to talk about Darjeeling.

yea I feel like Darjeeling is often overlooked

maybe it's because it's not as "cutesy" as his others

The raft scene is one of my favorite scenes in any Anderson movie.

Honestly, from what I can see, that one will probably benefit a lot from repeat viewings. I could see it (maybe) becoming my favorite.

Finished of The Sea of Trees. It's not as boring as the first 10 minutes suggests, and things do happen, but it just felt lifeless in a lot of parts and I didn't believe in what was going on. McConaghuey really struggles to make the dialogue sound convincing, Watanabe is wasted on completely and tragically, and Watts is probably the best of the bunch but the character itself is hardly a dynamic one. I mean, it's schmaltzy and sentimental, but I didn't enjoy it; that says a lot coming from someone who is schmaltzy and sentimental.

Super

Insanely great dark comedy, I had such a blast watching this.

Obscene, Over-the-top and hilarious comedy, pathetic characters, actors having the time of their lives (especially Ellen Page)

I thought Kick-Ass was fine but highly overpraised and this is just so much better on every possible level and doesn't cheat it's initial concept.

And it actually has some depth

And please a Nathan Fillion Jesus spin-off
Last edited by FuturePast on September 9th, 2016, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Now Where Was I ? wrote:Super

Insanely great dark comedy, I had such a blast watching this.

Obscene, Over-the-top and hilarious comedy, pathetic characters, actors having the time of their lives (especially Ellen Page)

I thought Kick-Ass was fine but highly overpraised and this is just so much better on every possible level and doesn't cheat it's initial concept.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Such an underrated gem. Definitely gaining a cult following though.
It's all gushy

The only criticism I would give Kick-Ass is that Dave Lizewski became a superhero for no reason other than to become one. In Super, the reason why Frank became The Crimson Bolt is a far more relatable and understandable. It's a really sweet movie behind all the blood and guts, and really does succeed where Kick-Ass ultimately fails. However, both movies are fantastic and are nice little companion pieces.

Kick-Ass kinda fails at the point where it becomes the film it purports not to be. No, that's not clever at all. It's not ironising or whatever. Its whole premise of "and this is what would happen if a kid tried to become a superhero" flies out the window with gay abandon.

SUPER isn't great either but it's much better.

The warehouse scene in Kick-Ass puts it over Super for me.

The Royal Tenenbaums
I liked this, but something about it felt off from the beginning. Almost like the common complaint of style over substance applied here. Yet, by the end I found myself being extremely connected to the characters and what was going on. Sort of confused on where I stand on this film. I think it's on the bottom of my ranking of Anderson films so far.