Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Ad Astra

6.6/10

meh

Vader182 wrote:
September 22nd, 2019, 4:18 pm
i really couldn't get into african queen, but part of that is that i find hepburn grating most of the time

EDIT: except in lion in winter, where she's amazing

-Vader
I think my main reason for watching African Queen is because Hepburn wrote a book about her experience working on it called Making of the African Queen or How I went to Africa with Bogart, Bacall, and Huston and Almost lost My Mind .

The drama queen in me needs to read this :lol:

y'all need to check out African Queen

45 Years: Been some three years since I last saw this. It's such a poignant character drama. I love Haigh's other work too. Rampling owns this film, she's always such a graceful presence and she just nails this.

The Expendables: I mean, dat editing... Especially in that one scene with Schwarzenegger I mean what the hell was going on lol

Step Brothers: eh, lol

Chocolat: dreamy chololately

The Next Three Days: More fun than I thought it would be. Crowe had quite a good 2009/2010 tbh?

Heat: Saw this in 4K in theater, great experience. With an introduction from Mann. I've seen all of his films but this remains his peak. I love these kind of stories and Mann is very much in control. Just when you think it starts to crack under it's own weight, it revels up and doesn't let go. Great performance from Pacino and De Niro, as always. This film is aging incredibly well.

It Chapter Two: This was a whole lot of fun. They threw everything at it and imo most of it sticks. King's source material is just so incredibly dense it remains tough to adapt but I think this is quite a good adaptation of the book. I loved how the first film focused only on the kids and that this film is much more structured like the entire book. Hader and Ransome are the MVPs, Skarsgård was great but could've been in it a little bit more imo. Also great that Dolan was in this.

Inside Man: Must've been, ten or eleven years since I first and last saw this? lol anyway, entertaining heist movie.

Dolor y Gloria: I knew nothing beforehand and I was pleasantly surprised. What a warm and fuzzy and melancholic film. Banderas is amazing and Cruz is touching as always. I loved how inwards Almodóvar turned with this. Also great and sad coming to terms with ones youth and loves.

Rambo: Been quite a while since I last saw this and damn, I literally forgot about all those hundreds of gruesome deaths I mean what the fuck it's insanely violent.

Memories of Murder: This was great. Very atmospheric, at times hilarious (I mean those dropkicks! lol) and downright terrifying and depressing...

yes heat is one of the greatest movies ever made

-Vader

Have you seen LA Takedown?

It blows my mind that "Heat" wasn't nominated for Best Picture in 1995. It is clearly better than all 5 nominees that year.

Vader182 wrote:
September 22nd, 2019, 5:10 pm
yes heat is one of the greatest movies ever made

-Vader
:thumbup:

Yeah, Heat is a masterpiece. Incredible film, top ten of all time for me.

Nomis wrote:
September 22nd, 2019, 5:12 pm
Have you seen LA Takedown?
i've seen the proto-diner scene in LA Takedown but never the full thing. i really should sometime.

as you all know i'm a huge mann-head.

If The Departed can win Best Picture, Heat definitely could if it was released in the last 20 years instead of the last 30.

-Vader

Dodd wrote:
September 22nd, 2019, 4:42 pm
Ad Astra

6.6/10

meh
so I guess BPitt didn't have a shirtless scene?