Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
marshallmurphy wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 3:52 pm
radewart wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 1:44 pm
How is Ryan's Daughter? I need to get around to watching it because I've seen so much else of David Lean
David Lean is fantastic, so I had really high expectations going into this. I’ll admit I was a little disappointed, but it’s still definitely worth a watch. The cinematography was for sure the best part about it, but I found the story a little...uninteresting, I guess. It was very entertaining for an over three-hour film, I just thought it had too many subplots and didn’t do either of the main points of the movie justice by splitting the runtime between them.

Good thing is though it was easy to get through despite the length, as it was very entertaining. Give it a shot for sure, especially if you enjoy David Lean.
Heard a lot about David Lean. Any recommendations for someone who has never watched his movie before? I am a millenial if that means anything.

dragon_phoenix wrote:
June 5th, 2020, 1:51 am
marshallmurphy wrote:
radewart wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 1:44 pm
How is Ryan's Daughter? I need to get around to watching it because I've seen so much else of David Lean
David Lean is fantastic, so I had really high expectations going into this. I’ll admit I was a little disappointed, but it’s still definitely worth a watch. The cinematography was for sure the best part about it, but I found the story a little...uninteresting, I guess. It was very entertaining for an over three-hour film, I just thought it had too many subplots and didn’t do either of the main points of the movie justice by splitting the runtime between them.

Good thing is though it was easy to get through despite the length, as it was very entertaining. Give it a shot for sure, especially if you enjoy David Lean.
Heard a lot about David Lean. Any recommendations for someone who has never watched his movie before? I am a millenial if that means anything.
He is famous for his historical epics, but these films are very long. The Bridge on the River Kwai and Doctor Zhivago are good, but Lawrence of Arabia is his masterpiece IMO.

His early films are smaller in scale (and shorter). You can start with Brief Encounter, but it is very different from his epics.

And, although I haven't seen these, his Dickens adaptations (Great Expectations and Oliver Twist) are critically acclaimed too.

ThePhantomTerror wrote:
June 5th, 2020, 2:14 am
dragon_phoenix wrote:
marshallmurphy wrote:

He is famous for his historical epics, but these films are very long. The Bridge on the River Kwai and Doctor Zhivago are good, but Lawrence of Arabia is his masterpiece IMO.

His early films are smaller in scale (and shorter). You can start with Brief Encounter, but it is very different from his epics.

And, although I haven't seen these, his Dickens adaptations (Great Expectations and Oliver Twist) are critically acclaimed too.
Lol, I am not going to watch historical epics, not in the mood at this point.

I may give Brief Encounter a try in the near future.

Thanks for the recommendations!

dragon_phoenix wrote:
June 5th, 2020, 2:19 am
ThePhantomTerror wrote:
June 5th, 2020, 2:14 am
dragon_phoenix wrote:

Lol, I am not going to watch historical epics, not in the mood at this point.

I may give Brief Encounter a try in the near future.

Thanks for the recommendations!
I am also a millennial. Brief Encounter would be a good start if you want to watch something shorter and “easier”. I love The Bridge on the River Kwai though, and even though it is quite long it is extremely entertaining. My recommendation would probably be to start there, but that’s just me. I watched it for the first time in high school and have always loved it.

Also, A Passage to India is amazing! Lean’s entire filmography is worth a view at some point in your life.

The Bridge on the River Kwai and Lawrence of Arabia is required viewing for anyone passionate about film.

HunterxHunter: Phantom Rouge (2013)

Damn, this was hot garbage.

As much as I love Lean's earlier black and white movies (along with Brief Encounter, his Dickens adaptations are also excellent), trying to "see what Lean is about" by watching Brief Encounter misses the whole point of what you're trying to discover by watching Lean in the first place.

Watch Lawrence of Arabia.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
June 5th, 2020, 1:50 pm
As much as I love Lean's earlier black and white movies (along with Brief Encounter, his Dickens adaptations are also excellent), trying to "see what Lean is about" by watching Brief Encounter misses the whole point of what you're trying to discover by watching Lean in the first place.

Watch Lawrence of Arabia.

-Vader
Yes. First David Lean film I watched was Lawrence of Arabia. I was in high school and the length was not a problem. I associate Lean with beautifully colorful cinematography and 65mm film, epic adventure stories. So I agree that starting with a black and white romance film misses the point.

"Public Enemies"

I've been on Michael Mann kick during this Covid shutdown and have rewatched a lot of his film. This is currently on Netflix and I hadn't seen it since its original release. It is still lower tear Mann, but it is a lot better than I remember. I think it was one of those cases of having built-up expectations going into a film, now years later I am able to appreciate the film for what it is, and not what I wanted it to be at the time of the initial watch.

I can really say Mann is one the few directors that I like all of his stuff to a varying degree. There not all masterpieces, but there's nothing that I don't enjoy and feel is worth watching again down the road.

Limelight
Seeing old Chaplin and old Keaton do a sketch together on scene is just as bittersweet as you'd imagine. The first hour is also filled with great dialogues that show the humanism of Chaplin : "Death is inevitable but life is also inevitable". Chaplin wrote a beautiful score, his directing assistant is a certain Robert Aldrich...