Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Happy Death Day (2017)
I just rewatched this for the first time in months and it still holds up. Tons of fun, creepy and it has a very engaging protagonist. The premise is simple but the execution is excellent so there's not much to complain about here tbh.

Happy Death Day 2 U (2019)
It's different from the first one because it is less of a slasher and more of a science-fiction film but honestly I like it almost as much as the first one because the premise allows for the story to change genres rather easily.

The Godfather: Part II

So yeah, not as good as the first one. Some nice character development though. And the young Vito scenes were so aesthetically pleasing.

Havoc1st wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 1:44 am
The Godfather: Part II

So yeah, not as good as the first one.

The Godfather: Part III

I'll pretend Sofia Coppola's acting didn't happen. Other than that, the movie is not bad; it's just that it's unremarkable and the spice is missing.

The Fog (1980)
My favourite John Carpenter film. The atmosphere and music are just fantastic and I love a good ghost story.

Waterloo (1970)
This is how you make a war film about the Napoleonic wars. The dialogue is a bit cheesy occasionally but the performances by the main cast are excellent. Napoleon is given so much depth and nuance in this (occasionally even displays of intense anger and majesty). The build-up to the battle is great and then the epic spectacle begins. No CG, just lots of extras and some rather inspired cinematography as well. Though I must admit that the ending is a bit abrupt.

7500 on amazon prime.

Decent little thriller. Good JGL performance.

I was frustrated with it. As soon as they tied up the first terrorist I knew what's gonna happen. I don't know what the protocol is in such situations but I was like "kill him and land the plane". Easier said than done, I definitely wouldn't be able to do it, but the life of hundreds of passengers is in your hands. Keep more of an eye on him at least :P Also, cabin crew entering the pilot's cockpit really is a dangerous practice. If they can sleep during flights they can also serve themselves some coffee and eat premade sandwiches. Just put a small fridge in the cockpit :P

Kong: Skull Island

Enjoyed it well enough. When the action hits, it hits. And i actually did kinda care about Kong. Other than that, felt like it could've been better in some aspects.

watched The Lord of the Rings for the first time in years, and not only does my love and appreciation deep with age and with the losses in my life, but my respect at its legendary consistency grows as we've been burned but so many franchises since. Game, Star Wars, even The Hobbit.

I cry more at the last hour of Return of the King than I did at my mom's own wake. Gallows humor, there, but not far off from truth.

-Vader

Casablanca (1942)
It's a good film and shorter than I anticipated. I can see why a lot of people would call it a classic and a masterpiece but maybe it's because I'm just so far removed from the time this came out or maybe I've just come across too many references to the film and parodies, etc. but it does not rise above very good for me.

Predator (1987)
I knew about the premise going in and it plays out mostly like you would expect but I'll give it this: it's a lot more gruesome than I expected. The makeup effects are great and I appreciate that for most of the time we do not see what is killing Dutch's comrades. The film moves towards its climax at a steady pace and once it comes down to the final confrontation, you are genuinely terrified of the thing that's been stalking Schwarzenegger's character because it genuinely comes down to survival and usually Schwarzenegger does not play characters who are put in a situation where they cannot just walk away from a tough situation with full confidence in heir own abilities.