Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
The Vast of the Night rules if anyone needs a distraction right now. Small debut now on Amazon Prime. Early Amblin / Twilight Zone vibes. It's great.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
May 31st, 2020, 8:26 pm
The Vast of the Night rules if anyone needs a distraction right now. Small debut now on Amazon Prime. Early Amblin / Twilight Zone vibes. It's great.

-Vader
Just watched the trailer. Looks pretty neat. I'll have to add it to my watchlist - I'm always looking for new films to watch. :thumbup:

Jacob's Ladder (1990)
Not so much scary as it is sad and very intriguing. I will not say what it is ultimately about but it is initially not very clear whether the film is told in chronological order or not. the performances are all believable and the music and the demonic imagery are really eerie.

8.5/10

Vader182 wrote:
May 31st, 2020, 8:26 pm

-Vader
I like how the radio station is
WOTW
I'm sure there are other references, but that one made me chuckle.

For the first time in my life, I've watched the Back to the Future trilogy.

To my surprise, I really liked the first one, it had quite a charm, and I just couldn't stop thinking about it for days, checking out Michael J Fox interviews on YouTube and stuff like that. The whole "boy's mom falling in love with boy" plot is really weird (not in a bad way, per se), I doubt it would go down well these days :D The same with the Lybian terrorists killing Doc on the streets of Hill Valley, there are a few interesting plot details that are clearly the products of their time, but overall the first movie is really, really charming.

Now, I realize that the second one has all the future gags and how everyone was obsessed with the date five years ago, and I know of the hoverboards and the Nike shoes and stuff, but for some reason the second film resonated with me the least out of the three, I think. It just felt a bit convoluted and almost all the gags from the first film were played out deliberately in a future setting. In a way, I can see why that's clever, but as I was watching these films almost back-to-back, it just felt a bit tiring.

The third one had the least of the original charm in it, but it was quite a "simple" story in a contained world... I'm not a huge fan of these Old West clichés, and the whole setting felt so far removed from reality - yeah, even moreso than the future of the second film. But I liked how it's just one setting instead of going back and forth, as in BTTF 2.

Now that I think of it, it wasn't very bad in the second film when we saw the events from another perspective - I just realized that the same method of revisiting old films and classic scenes was used by Avengers: Endgame as well. And it's fun, even if we have to watch some of the original scenes again, which feels just a little bit lazy. But I admit it's fun.

Boy and the World (2013)
Fires Were Started (1943)
Intermezzo (1936)
Hustlers (2019)
Sapphire (1959)
Uncut Gems (2019)
Ryan's Daughter (1970)
Re-Animator (1985)

marshallmurphy wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 11:08 am
Boy and the World (2013)
Fires Were Started (1943)
Intermezzo (1936)
Hustlers (2019)
Sapphire (1959)
Uncut Gems (2019)
Ryan's Daughter (1970)
Re-Animator (1985)
How is Ryan's Daughter? I need to get around to watching it because I've seen so much else of David Lean

radewart wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 1:44 pm
How is Ryan's Daughter? I need to get around to watching it because I've seen so much else of David Lean
David Lean is fantastic, so I had really high expectations going into this. I’ll admit I was a little disappointed, but it’s still definitely worth a watch. The cinematography was for sure the best part about it, but I found the story a little...uninteresting, I guess. It was very entertaining for an over three-hour film, I just thought it had too many subplots and didn’t do either of the main points of the movie justice by splitting the runtime between them.

Good thing is though it was easy to get through despite the length, as it was very entertaining. Give it a shot for sure, especially if you enjoy David Lean.

Avengers: Endgame

Maybe i prefer Infinity tiny bit more.

X-Men (2000).

Many obvious flaws in this movie because of how long ago it was released. Surprised by how little exposition there is considering it is the first X-men movie. Still a great franchise which culminated in X-Men Days of Future Past.