Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
The Earrings of Madame de

This is such a beautiful and engaging film. The set pieces are so dreamy and the acting is fantastic.

Off topic but on topic I lost a pair of really beautiful earrings a few years ago and I hope I can find them again someday.

Barton Fink (1991) - something something dante inferno surreal imagery jokey jokey hypocrisy hollywood bad

not my favorite coen film, but it’s def an interesting one

Artemis wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 8:24 pm

This is such a beautiful and engaging film. The set pieces are so dreamy and the acting is fantastic.

Off topic but on topic I lost a pair of really beautiful earrings a few years ago and I hope I can find them again someday.
This really is one of the greats. Did you get to watch it in French? Ophuls was not only a king of travelling but he also uses sound in a very intresting way. I love so many things in this film. The scene in the library is a masterclass of directing imo. I would definitely advise watching "la ronde" and "le plaisir", which are also masterpieces.
The best thing about "Madame de..." (french title) is that I don't know how much she loves him and how much she pretends. At some point the general says "Grief can be invented" (le malheur s'invente in french), and indeed Madame de... is so superficial that she seems to be fighting to have something real in her life, even if its her downfall. It's like she got lost playing her own game. As she says "the woman I was made the misfortune of the one I've become". Not only is happiness superficial but pain also is. People are unable to grasp the truth of their feelings. This such a moving and desperate take on the human condition. In the end not even suicide can give life a meaning.

Being John Malkovich (1999)

Brilliant, hilarious and, frankly, horrifying.

Demoph wrote:
January 29th, 2019, 9:25 am
Artemis wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 8:24 pm

This really is one of the greats. Did you get to watch it in French? Ophuls was not only a king of travelling but he also uses sound in a very intresting way. I love so many things in this film. The scene in the library is a masterclass of directing imo. I would definitely advise watching "la ronde" and "le plaisir", which are also masterpieces.
The best thing about "Madame de..." (french title) is that I don't know how much she loves him and how much she pretends. At some point the general says "Grief can be invented" (le malheur s'invente in french), and indeed Madame de... is so superficial that she seems to be fighting to have something real in her life, even if its her downfall. It's like she got lost playing her own game. As she says "the woman I was made the misfortune of the one I've become". Not only is happiness superficial but pain also is. People are unable to grasp the truth of their feelings. This such a moving and desperate take on the human condition. In the end not even suicide can give life a meaning.
Yeah I saw it in French. I have the Criterion blu ray for it and I think it's as close to the original as it can get.
I agree with that too! Like the fainting spells at the beginning, I was like "okay is this chick pretending?" Have you read The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt? They're totally different works but both works do share the themes of how inanimate objects give our life some amount of meaning and they also deal with the interactions the upper classes have and how superficial happiness and pain can be.

Rashomon
This is very relevant in today's society. I appreciate the art of the film

Aquaman

One of the funniest movies of the year.

Artemis wrote:
January 29th, 2019, 11:39 am
I agree with that too! Like the fainting spells at the beginning, I was like "okay is this chick pretending?" Have you read The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt? They're totally different works but both works do share the themes of how inanimate objects give our life some amount of meaning and they also deal with the interactions the upper classes have and how superficial happiness and pain can be.
No, I haven't read it, thank you for the recommandation. I personnally had linked the film with Camus'writings on the absurd.

Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

Science fiction blasphemy: I prefer to this to the original. :ninja:
I just find it much more emotionally engaging.

Dunkirk (2017)

I suppose I’m preaching to the choir here, but that closing shot of Hardy is GOAT material, imo.