Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 2:49 pm

how so?

most people think the third act of Fallout is the best part of the movie and rivals anything else in the franchise (except perhaps the Burj). I am among those people.

-Vader
Agreed. The third act is excellent.

I think what bothered me the most is that
throughout the film Hunt is consistently put in morally complicated situations
where he has to choose between what he feels is the right thing to do, and what is best for his mission. Most everything in the film scream, that this is a different brand of Mission:Impossible. McQ seems to be taking inspirations from The Dark Knight in that regard.

But when we reach the finale, there doesn't appear to be any pay-off to that build-up. "The fallout of all your good intentions" turns out as not much but another situation, where he has to kick bad guys arses and defuse yet another bomb.

£

virgo, the
'fallout' of all your good intentions' is that Julia winds up in harm's way at the end. From the opening infographics talking about Kashmir (sp) to Lane's line above, to Walker's reveal concerning julia, she's Ethan's blind spot and nothing he does will truly keep her safe since he has to confront he can't keep everyone safe all the time. The whole movie is set up for this, but you don't know what that information is referring to on your first viewing.

No matter how hard Ethan's tried to keep her out of harm's way, he ultimately can't really protect her, despite all his sacrifice. It puts an emotional arc through the last three Mission movies that actually makes sense, unlike, say, what was attempted by Spectre.

It sounds like you wanted an Infinity War style save the girl or save the world conundrum, but that's been done to death (literally) and this is more resonant for me in mission.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 2:49 pm
Master Virgo wrote:
January 5th, 2019, 8:08 am
MI: Fallout

The first two acts of this film utterly rocked. Franchise transcending stuff. The pay-off...not quite. Almost feels like someone has stolen the real finale of the film, and put a fake one in its place.£
how so?

most people think the third act of Fallout is the best part of the movie and rivals anything else in the franchise (except perhaps the Burj). I am among those people.

-Vader
Speaking of that, the Burj scene is neat but I don't think I've loved it the way others do.

Maybe its because I have issues with the overall tone of that film. Almost feels like the characters are having too much fun compared to the rest of the franchise. It plays like a Marvel movie.

It's kind of jarring considering how dark MI3 got in some parts and considering where Rogue Nation and Fallout go.

Anil Kapoor's antics and a cardboard cut out of a villain don't help.

I adore Ghost Protocol (second favorite of the series) but I get that. It's maybe the closest we've gotten to live action animated movie or cartoon and it keeps that in tone and it's a little jarring compared to M:III and Rogue. Teddy feels similarly to you too.

but please stop comparing anything that has a ton of humor to a marvel movie of all things. I hear this all the time and don't understand it, including for force awakens and last jedi. this style of humor existed like, almost a century before marvel movies existed guys.

pretty soon people will be saying Raiders of the Lost Ark is like a marvel movie

-Vader

Idk if I'd compare Ghost Protocol to Marvel movies. None of the humor in Ghost Protocol feels forced and nor does it really interupt the flow of the scenes.

The Kremlin scene is probably one of my favorites in the franchise. Perfect mix of suspense and humor handled wonderfully.

Vader182 wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 12:05 am
I adore Ghost Protocol (second favorite of the series) but I get that. It's maybe the closest we've gotten to live action animated movie or cartoon and it keeps that in tone and it's a little jarring compared to M:III and Rogue. Teddy feels similarly to you too.

but please stop comparing anything that has a ton of humor to a marvel movie of all things. I hear this all the time and don't understand it, including for force awakens and last jedi. this style of humor existed like, almost a century before marvel movies existed guys.

pretty soon people will be saying Raiders of the Lost Ark is like a marvel movie

-Vader
It's not the humor itself, it's the tone that's produced when the kind of humor is juxtaposed with the action and the seriousness. Add in a paper thin villain, CGI, Jeremy Renner, and there ya go, Marvel film. lol

Hell I'll even take John Woo's 80s cheese over it.

watch more movies lol

you're talking about a slightly self-aware in-on-the-joke level humor that dates back to Keaton and Chaplin and even Casablanca and loads of old romantic adventure movies. Also Hitchcock, especially his breezier stuff like North By Northwest. not to mention tons of samurai movies, including Kurosawa. hidden fortress is ridden with "we know we're in a movie" humor.

this is 100% the type of humor you find in Bird's other work, esp Incredibles and Ratatouille

-Vader

I'm horrible at talking about films at anything other than a layman level, but for some reason it's the impression I get from GP. I mean I don't get the same feeling from Raiders, for what it's worth. As I said, it doesn't help that the film is bookended by arguably much more serious films.

Speaking of Renner, I'm not his biggest fan but one can't help but to feel terrible for him. He was not good enough to replace Damon, not good enough to replace Cruise, the other four major members of the cast in Hustle got nods and he was completely ignored, Marvel keep skipping him or giving him little of anything to do.

Like give the guy a break for god's sake, lol.£