Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
The House Bunny

Why did I like this movie? Lol It was very nicecore and funny.

The Leopard - one of the most beautiful movies ever made, as if the characters are trapped in the painterly canvas, struggling to escape the cruel tide of history. More of an intellectual affair than an emotional one, but it's an interesting movie.

Fallen Angels - if Chungking Express is warm, buoyant and breathless (heyo, godard pun, here all week guys), Fallen Angels is cold, crushing and full of Ennui. WKW strips that already elliptical narrative foundation away, making more of a surreal tone poem on the disconnection in the urban sprawl.

honestly, I prefer WKW's 90s work to In the Mood for Love.

-Vader

Artemis wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 5:42 pm
The House Bunny

It's a fun, feel-good movie. A type of film that's actually pretty perfect to watch in these times. I just rewatched Mean Girls last weekend and am probably going to watch Legally Blonde next time.

Vader182 wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 6:02 pm
The Leopard - one of the most beautiful movies ever made, as if the characters are trapped in the painterly canvas, struggling to escape the cruel tide of history. More of an intellectual affair than an emotional one, but it's an interesting movie.
I feel when I watch it again, after having processed all its meaning (or at least most of it), it becomes very moving.
The Prince who understands that he is no more fit for the new world ( a new world that everyone praises but will eventually maintain Mussolini in power for twenty years (and you can feel Visconti's ironic despair in his description of it)), Tancredi symbol of a revolution that forgets its principles, Lancaster and Cardinale dancing, the violence of the pessimism of the film.
The shot of the peasants working in the fields right before the ball, is very emotional when put in the context of the political statement the film is making.
Also I find incredibly true Visconti and Lampedusa's statement that nothing really ever change. It is also very ballsy coming from Visconti, who was a marxist, considering the base of Marx's vision of history is that it progresses and is not redundant: why would a revolution and its violence be worth it, if they only change the name of the oppressor?
I love this film so much and, my god, Rota's score!
I first watched the film when I was 14 or something, and that was obviously too early.

But my current favorite Visconti is Rocco. Damn, Visconti is so gooooood!

I have The Leopard but never really got around to watching it, might this week due to circumstances lol

Demoph wrote:
April 23rd, 2020, 4:51 am
Vader182 wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 6:02 pm
I feel when I watch it again, after having processed all its meaning (or at least most of it), it becomes very moving.
The Prince who understands that he is no more fit for the new world ( a new world that everyone praises but will eventually maintain Mussolini in power for twenty years (and you can feel Visconti's ironic despair in his description of it)), Tancredi symbol of a revolution that forgets its principles, Lancaster and Cardinale dancing, the violence of the pessimism of the film.
The shot of the peasants working in the fields right before the ball, is very emotional when put in the context of the political statement the film is making.
Also I find incredibly true Visconti and Lampedusa's statement that nothing really ever change. It is also very ballsy coming from Visconti, who was a marxist, considering the base of Marx's vision of history is that it progresses and is not redundant: why would a revolution and its violence be worth it, if they only change the name of the oppressor?
I love this film so much and, my god, Rota's score!
I first watched the film when I was 14 or something, and that was obviously too early.

But my current favorite Visconti is Rocco. Damn, Visconti is so gooooood!
i did find the final 45 minutes, the epic ballroom set piece, to be quite moving in parts, but there's no shock in casting Delon given his Antonioni collaboration the year before and work in Melville,
one of the 'jackels' who seems to value absolutely nothing.

The sense of encroaching ennui and emptiness permeating the future generations is a harrowing one and antonioni-esque in a sense, but there is a pervading feeling, given Visconti's political leanings to be sure, that "the leopard's' own views and feelings are themselves another sense of emptiness and purposelessness, born from the ignorance banality of the aristocracy. Some have said Visconti over-romanticized the prince and his way of life, but I think it was very much in the vein of Scorsese's own electric draw to gangsters and crime despite ultimately criticizing it and invoking his morality. Thus the scenes making fun of the prince for caring so much about a trip when people are working and going hungry and waging revolutions, etc.

It reminded me very much of The Irishman insofar as its about the mourning of men and a way of life that may be better to have never existed at all, yet we understand their humanity. I do imagine the whole thing deepens on rewatches.

-Vader

LelekPL wrote:
April 23rd, 2020, 2:37 am
Artemis wrote:
The House Bunny

It's a fun, feel-good movie. A type of film that's actually pretty perfect to watch in these times. I just rewatched Mean Girls last weekend and am probably going to watch Legally Blonde next time.
Ooooh I might need to do a rewatch of Legally Blonde as well!

The Willoughbys... and found this :think:

Artemis wrote:
April 23rd, 2020, 10:19 am
LelekPL wrote:
April 23rd, 2020, 2:37 am
Artemis wrote:
The House Bunny

Ooooh I might need to do a rewatch of Legally Blonde as well!
pls report back, I haven't seen Legally Blonde nor it's sequel in ages and ages

Nor The Princess Diaries films btw I remember those as being very feel good too

Don't Breathe

This was great holy shit.

I love it when filmmakers take a simple concept and elevate it in some super creative way.

The acting was top notch and I love how the suspense was created.