Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
El Camino: I'm not the biggest Breaking Bad fan, but that doesn't mean this still could've been as good as any BB episode. It just wasn't.

Le Cercle Rouge: Loved this, Delon is great as always and that heist scene was intense. It's somber, but it fits the story.

Rogue: lol, it was fun

Overlord: This was a lot more entertaining, and good, than I thought it would be. High-octane action/horror. Asbæk seems to have so much fun playing downright evil characters lol. Ollivier is one to watch.

The Laundromat: Oldman is a hoot and Streep is amazing.
I really had no clue about her double role so the reveal was incredible lol
I thought the different segments to explain the financial terms worked really well.

In the Tall Grass: Read the novel years ago, okay adaptation but nothing extraordinary.

Rambo Last Blood: I watched all the previous Rambo films in the last couple of months. The first one is obviously still the best and after that it got into nothing but action and insane violence. The last two of the franchise being the most intense in that department. This one was so incredibly violent, holy shit.
I think the story of his surrogate daughter was pretty good but the rest...

Synecdoche, New York: Took a while to get going, but I liked the concept, which worked best in the third act and ending. It keeps being weird though, but not in spite of the story. I loved how it sort of subverts the way you look at movies/sets. It's just a very nice idea and it works in the film. Also, Hoffman is so good. Must say it does sting to see him as an old man because he never got old...

The King: I loved this. Chalamet truly is the most exciting actor of his generation working today. He's building up quite the resume and his versatility keeps surprising me. Worth noting that he chose this after his breakthrough with CMBYN. It's very different, in like every way lol.
Michôd has a clear vision and sticks to it. The film looks great in every department and Mendelsohn, Glynn-Carney, Pattinson and Lily-Rose Depp all impress even though all of them had relatively small parts to play. From those I was most impressed with Depp. I think she's got a knack for it like her father and I hope she keeps working (maybe Princess Irulan in a possible Dune sequel? :oops: )

Night Hunter: Well, at least Cavill went all in...

The Lure: This was so weird. I mean it's about mermaids, it's horror, it's a musical, too. I thought it was one genre too many.

Miami Vice (2006)

Damn, what an exotic exercise in style and mood. I've never been the biggest proponent of digital photography especially when it's amplified to this extreme, but Mann certainly utilizes its capabilities to explore a world that is tropical and dingy all within the same frame. Also, it's the most romantic drug trafficking movie I'll probably ever see.

BlairCo wrote:
November 7th, 2019, 11:52 pm
Miami Vice (2006)

Damn, what an exotic exercise in style and mood. I've never been the biggest proponent of digital photography especially when it's amplified to this extreme, but Mann certainly utilizes its capabilities to explore a world that is tropical and dingy all within the same frame. Also, it's probably the most romantic drug trafficking movie I'll probably ever see.
Criminally underrated flick that doesn't get enough love

Doctor Sleep (2019)

This was a fun ride, but it's not without problems. One reason why The Shining is a classic, is its subversive nature. Doctor Sleep instead chooses to tread in a familiar narrative. It's a testament to Flanagan's talent, this film flows the way it does and I'm not talking just visually. If he gets a great script in future, he might deliver a masterpiece. And of course, Rebecca Ferguson is a delight.

The Report: This was great. It's not overly romanticized like Spielberg did it with The Post. I loved this 'cut the bullshit' approach to put it bluntly lol. Burns maneuvers through the huge amount of information, quick dialogues and cutting back and forth between timelines like it's a piece of cake. Which makes the viewing experience all the better. It's got a story to tell and it sticks to it, it's not once uneven, not once falters from the course. It's fantastically written en directed. Driver proves himself over and over again as a charismatic lead. Bening was great as well. Loved Levine's performance too, it's like the other performances, nuanced just right to fit with the story.

Nomis wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 5:19 pm
The Report: This was great. It's not overly romanticized like Spielberg did it with The Post. I loved this 'cut the bullshit' approach to put it bluntly lol. Burns maneuvers through the huge amount of information, quick dialogues and cutting back and forth between timelines like it's a piece of cake. Which makes the viewing experience all the better. It's got a story to tell and it sticks to it, it's not once uneven, not once falters from the course. It's fantastically written en directed. Driver proves himself over and over again as a charismatic lead. Bening was great as well. Loved Levine's performance too, it's like the other performances, nuanced just right to fit with the story.
excited for this

-Vader

The Aeronauts (2019)

There are two films going on here. One is about a pilot and a scientist on an adventure, voyaging through the skies making natural discoveries and facing up against mother nature herself in a thrilling fight for survival. The other is a really expositive, mundane period piece drama that serves only to provide backstory. This movie would have been far less annoying if it wasn't structured non-linearly and focused more on the voyage. However, whenever it is that voyage adventure, it is quite the spectacle. Felicity Jones climbing a big balloon is one of the best scenes of this year, and the entire third act is a real blast to watch. Although, I think we all need to start accepting the fact that Eddie Redmayne is too comfortable in playing the same type of socially awkward nerd; I have yet to see much range from him.

The Cranes are flying.
One of the best directed films of all time. The travellings, the photography... Also the performances from Samoylova and Merkurev are amazing. A great film.

When are you going Vader?

Demoph wrote:
November 9th, 2019, 12:03 pm
The Cranes are flying.
One of the best directed films of all time. The travellings, the photography... Also the performances from Samoylova and Merkurev are amazing. A great film.
I started watching Soy Cuba last night. First ten minutes were mesmerizing but then the audio was out of sync. So I end up watching

Flight of the Phoenix (1965)

This embodies why I love movies in the first place. An experience so pure which no other medium can offer. Aldrich knows his film will live and die by small character moments given the premise. And every such moment is staged with utmost precision. Stewart Krüger chemistry is electrifying. Also Attenborough is underrated as an actor. Last time I cheered like this for the characters to make out alive was in Das Boot.
5/5