Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Demoph wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 5:44 am
Part 3 is weaker, obviously, but it still has some moments of grace. I think Pacino showing Keaton Sicily is one of the greatest scene I've seen. Suddenly, from all sides of the frame elements from each movies enter the shot, and it feels like seventy years slowly condensed in one shot. The last twenty minutes are also really good.
I was afraid the first time I watched it, because I had heard it was not really good. But after thirty minutes, I thought, it's written and directed by Coppola, shot by Gordon Willis, Pacino is in it, and they put Rota's score here and there: of course it's at least very good.

Maybe wait a few weeks before watching it, to appreciate Part II fully, and not come in comparing the quality of both too much. After all, people had to wait sixteen years to see it.
I think Part III is absurdly undervalued and much of it has to do with the title and the pressure of it being an "equal chapter" instead of the coda that Coppola was trying to gun towards.

Pacino's performance is absolutely fascinating -- he is a hollowed-out ghoul, attempting to reconstruct a version of himself that never existed. As usual, the series is at its absolute best when it's Pacino and Keaton.

III is also deeply hurt by the absence of Duvall who keeps everything beautifully balanced in the first two. But the scream will always remain one of the most chilling, shattering moments in cinema, and proves that Coppola was always there, it's just the audiences that got lame. See also: Tucker.

Alright guys, you convinced me. Re-watching tomorrow.

Armand man, I missed your posts. Welcome back.

m4st4 wrote:
May 26th, 2020, 1:52 pm
Alright guys, you convinced me. Re-watching tomorrow.

Armand man, I missed your posts. Welcome back.

The Great Escape

A childhood favorite, it’s a film that is infinitely entertaining regardless of age. We all know of it’s all-time ensemble and score, but the screenplay is near perfect in every way as well. The film does not miss a single beat, in my mind.

The Lighthouse

Watching this in a sleep-deprived stupor was quite the experience.

Avengers: Infinity War

It was fine. Nothing more nothing less.

The Peanut Butter Falcon- Shiathon 2020: delightful. Shia is a terrific actor and this movie really warmed my heart. Both of his performances really moved me. Playing his dad was particularly impressive however.

Peggy Sue Got Married... Loved it so much. It's like BTTF sans the immediate SF and with more character depth. Kathleen Turner deserved an Oscar for this one damn it.

m4st4 wrote:
May 28th, 2020, 11:26 am
Peggy Sue Got Married... Loved it so much. It's like BTTF sans the immediate SF and with more character depth. Kathleen Turner deserved an Oscar for this one damn it.
Melancholy late-80s Coppola is endlessly fascinating.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
May 29th, 2020, 3:29 am
m4st4 wrote:
May 28th, 2020, 11:26 am
Melancholy late-80s Coppola is endlessly fascinating.
Should I watch Tucker?

Just finished Part III and I thought it was actually pretty good. Controversial opinion time, Sofia did nothing wrong. She balances Pacino's overdramatization with innocence and sincerity. Perhaps not actor's sincerity, but her own for sure.

It's also, expectedly, beautiful to look at and rich in texture. A fitting, if unnecessary epilogue.

Edit: the scream is one of those all time great cinematic moments that haunt you, with its artistic beauty, and great pain that they carry.

haven't seen gf3 in awhile but i'm pretty sure not liking it is one of those 'nickelback sucks' / 'jj uses too much lens flare' meme opinions