Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Or better yet The Dark Knight Rises

lol so true

she was also pretty funny in alice in wonderland

The Big Red One: Reconstruction (2004)

Samuel Fuller's magnum opus on WW2 brought to life by Richard Schickel. Each set piece is absolutely breathtaking. Clearly a precursor to Saving Private Ryan. Also Fuller managed to make these usual stock of war characters feel fully real. Definitely one of the greatest war films ever made.

Doctor X (1932)

One of the last 2 color Technicolor films made, this is a decent fun mystery film by Curtiz until one absolutely bonkers scene towards the end of the movie elevates this to cult status. Just can't stop saying synthetic flesh.

Go see it, guys! Yes, the premise is very familiar (Sing Street, A Star is Born, La La Land, Once), but it's the performances (Jessie Buckley is gonna be going places!) and the thematic exploration into motherhood and moving on from the sins of the past that really helps in making this movie feel fresh and unique.

Snowpiercer
Um...I’m not sure whether I’m more confused over how bad this film is, or the fact that it has near-perfect reviews....... Like, I rarely dislike movies, but I found almost nothing redeemable about this film. What a train wreck (pun definitely intended)

AsianVersionOfET wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 11:18 pm
Snowpiercer
Um...I’m not sure whether I’m more confused over how bad this film is, or the fact that it has near-perfect reviews....... Like, I rarely dislike movies, but I found almost nothing redeemable about this film. What a train wreck (pun definitely intended)
I didn't dislike it but it didn't do anything for me either. Except for the fight that involved the night vision goggles.

I think Snowpiercer really hits the viewer when you realize the allegory or when you've gone through comparable situations. The class divide shown in the film is really visceral if it's something you've seen and experienced with your own eyes.

I probably would have hated the film in high school but I loved it during/after college. And also gotta mention, Chris Evans acts his heart out in that scene.

A few days ago I watched Morning Glory. The 2010 version, not the Katherine Hepburn one (it is on my watchlist though!).

It's nothing like super remarkable but it's a really cute movie and McAdams and Ford are such a joy to watch on screen. There's a scene where McAdams's character calls 50 Cent Mr. Cent and it was really cute.

Us

Damn this was even better than Get Out, possibly the best horror movie of the decade along with The VVitch and Hereditary, but I have to sleep on that thought a bit.

Master Virgo wrote:
June 13th, 2019, 6:36 pm
Damn this was even better than Get Out, possibly the best horror movie of the decade

Rambo (2008)

Nothing worth a rewatch.