Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 5:09 pm
Durden wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 4:53 pm
The Wailing

Wow. This is brilliant.
glad you finally got to this. one of the best horror movies of the decade.

-VAder
How does one watch this? It looks amazing

AsianVersionOfET wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 8:59 pm
Vader182 wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 5:09 pm
Durden wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 4:53 pm
The Wailing

Wow. This is brilliant.
glad you finally got to this. one of the best horror movies of the decade.

-VAder
How does one watch this? It looks amazing
its been on netflix for forever, but if it's taken off just pirate or rent it lol

-Vader

Brick (2005)
Level of Admiration: (8.4/10)
Level of Personal Interest: (8.6/10)

Still really love this fucking film.

Vader182 wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 3:38 am
they're often on netflix/prime, not sure if they are now.

-Vader
They're not :(

Le Mans '66: I loved this, I felt everything. Bale and Damon are great together, Mangold is fantastic and it's beautifully shot. The dialogue scenes just as much as the race scenes which are exhilarating.

Gemini Man: I hope Ang Lee wil return to form after this, there are some quite allright action scenes in it and Smith does his best but the dialogue is just incredibly rough. Digital Smith looks convincing in one shot and terrible in the other, it's both impressive as there is still a whole lot of work to do to make it truly lifelike. Either way, a missed opportunity from Lee...

Climax: I know Noé loves to shock and while this had some disturbing moments, it's not as shocking as Irreversible, which was a great film. This was okay, Boutella is obviously great and the dance scenes are very nice.

The Irishman: Terrific, one of Scorsese's best for sure. The three leading men are all top notch and I loved the story. Great on every level.

Where'd You Go Bernadette?: So many things felt wrong with this film. It baffles me that Linklater made this.

The Good Liar: And the prize for over acting performance of the year goes to McKellen. It's anything but subtle and subtle would've been key for his role. Anyway, I did like the third act even though it's overstuffed. Mirren was great.

The Farewell: Much more tender than I anticipated. It's a wonderful combination of heavy stuff and more lightweight moments. Awkwafina is great, she should get an Oscar nomination imo, but the rest of the cast shines too. Zhao Shuzhen is amazing. I loved that they handled the differences between East and West in this film and they did it tactful.

Assignment:

2,000-word essay on what, if anything, Dutch angles contributed to the film Thor (2011).

APA formatting, on 8.5" x 11" paper.

On my desk by 8:00 am GMT, Monday morning.

This will be 90% of your grade.

This week:

Pain and Glory - 4.5/5
Cold War - 3.5/5
Deathdream (aka Dead of Night) - 3/5
Westfront 1918 - 3.5/5
The Irishman - 4.5/5
McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 4.5/5
Black Orpheus - 4.5/5

Needful Things - the film builds dread in a number of ways effectively despite the fact that you know exactly what is going on and why. I'm not used to seeing Max von Sydow in this kind of role but it's a welcome performance.

Waves is too drawn out & indulgent but has it's heart in the right place.

So Midsommar is a very very inferior version of
The Wicker Man?
First fifteen twenty minutes were awesome though.