Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Artemis wrote:
March 7th, 2019, 11:17 am
Cilogy wrote:
March 7th, 2019, 12:16 am
honestly kind of sick of films dude, ya'll need to calm down there are better things in life like encouraging people to accept themselves
It's good to take a break now and then and do other things tbh.

Last night I watched North By Northwest for the first time. I didn't like the ending much and in the last 20 minutes the film overstayed its welcome, but it was a great film though. Very good cold war movie.
That's my favorite Hitchcock film, but I'm curious what you didn't like about the ending?

HorrorBiz wrote:
March 7th, 2019, 11:44 am
Artemis wrote:
March 7th, 2019, 11:17 am
Cilogy wrote:
March 7th, 2019, 12:16 am
honestly kind of sick of films dude, ya'll need to calm down there are better things in life like encouraging people to accept themselves
It's good to take a break now and then and do other things tbh.

Last night I watched North By Northwest for the first time. I didn't like the ending much and in the last 20 minutes the film overstayed its welcome, but it was a great film though. Very good cold war movie.
That's my favorite Hitchcock film, but I'm curious what you didn't like about the ending?
I felt like it was way too rushed? Like there was so much build up and tension in those last ten minutes and then it just
ends with them in the train.
It felt way too sudden.

psst don't tell anyone but I feel like Hitchcock didn't really know how to end films in a way that was comparable to the level of conspiracy or tension built up throughout his films but he sort of gets a pass because everything else in the film is so good

Cilogy wrote:
March 7th, 2019, 2:52 pm
psst don't tell anyone but I feel like Hitchcock didn't really know how to end films in a way that was comparable to the level of conspiracy or tension built up throughout his films but he sort of gets a pass because everything else in the film is so good
Not wrong honestly
North By Northwest did a great job of building up the conspiracy and hinting at nefarious plots and a lot of other things. I do get that the film is about Thornhill and what he goes through and not so much the overall bigger conspiracy, but having an ending that at least discusses the conspiracy and then wraps up with his nuptials would have been been nice.

ending movies abruptly is just part of classic hollywood, not Hitchcock specifically.

as for the final sequence in North By Northwest, I love it and its as famous as many others in Hitchcock's filmography.

guys the train is a metaphor for FUCKING

-Vader

I think he just wasn't interested in all that happens after the climax, and would rather make it implicit than lose time with it. He must have thought that once the climax is over, people just want to go home. I think the cut that links the two last scenes of North by Northwest is pretty elegant, and I don't really care for what happens between these two scenes. But yeah, the pace can be disturbing at first. Vertigo would be the best example of these rushed ends, even after repeated viewings,
it's still shocking to see it suddenly end.

Also, agree with Vader, once the director finds a way to make you understand if the guy and the girl ends together or not, they just end the film.

Vader182 wrote:
March 7th, 2019, 3:10 pm

-Vader
ty captain obvious

Vader182 wrote:
March 7th, 2019, 3:10 pm
Pretty sure people caught on to that. The more interesting fact is that
it was him flipping off the Motion Picture Production Code for not letting them be in the bed without clarifying they were married.

If you think North by Northwest ends abruptly, try French Connection II

The abrupt ending that I hated the most is My Forbidden Past. Right when the movie starts to get really good, it just ends. And I hated that.