Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Demoph wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 1:10 pm
Watched Godard's Contempt again. Such a beautiful and ambiguous film. By the way so many lines that are very hard to hear because of the music being louder than the dialogue. Nolan didn't invent anything, and so much of the quality of the film is in the details of the dialogue. There is so much to unpack.
In the end, it's about the realization that as much as you may love someone, he always remains someone else. She keeps pushing him to make what will deceives her, hoping against hope he will find what she really means and wants.
among all the godard films i've watched so far, Contempt may be my favorite of his.

I haven't posted my recent list for a while (it's a lot) but I will say this. I just saw Gandhi, for the first time, and what a beautiful portrait of him. It's 37 years old but could just as well have been made today. A profound look at India's independence from the British Empire.

Been on a South Korean cinema binge with my roommate since I finally got around to seeing The Wailing, which I thought was an astounding piece of work.

Other films I've checked out this week include Memories of Murder, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, and The Chaser. While I found the latter two to be lesser than The Wailing and Memories of Murder, I thought it was refreshing to explore films outside of what we typically get from Hollywood.

I'm about halfway through Mother now, but I'd love to discuss SK cinema with y'all.

Gonna rewatch A Bittersweet Life next, and after that, Burning.

I'm open to other suggestions as well (I've seen The Handmaiden, Sympathy for Lady Vengeance, Parasite, The Tale of Two Sisters, Train to Busan, I Saw the Devil, Oldboy, Psychokinesis, and The Host.)

JSA, The Man from Nowhere and The Good the Bad and the Weird are pretty good.

I'm watching Peninsula today.

LelekPL wrote:
September 28th, 2020, 1:18 pm
JSA, The Man from Nowhere and The Good the Bad and the Weird are pretty good.

I'm watching Peninsula today.
I actually saw The Good, the Bad, and the Weird as well, but I'll have to check out the other two.
Lemme know how Peninsula is!

Numbers wrote:
September 28th, 2020, 1:06 pm
Been on a South Korean cinema binge with my roommate since I finally got around to seeing The Wailing, which I thought was an astounding piece of work.

Other films I've checked out this week include Memories of Murder, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, and The Chaser. While I found the latter two to be lesser than The Wailing and Memories of Murder, I thought it was refreshing to explore films outside of what we typically get from Hollywood.

I'm about halfway through Mother now, but I'd love to discuss SK cinema with y'all.

I'm open to other suggestions as well (I've seen The Handmaiden, Sympathy for Lady Vengeance, Parasite, The Tale of Two Sisters, Train to Busan, I Saw the Devil, Oldboy, Psychokinesis, and The Host.)
Delighted by this. South Korean cinema is one of the most exciting movements out there. Memories of Murder is a stone cold masterpiece. Mother is fantastic too.

For something less genre, check out Poetry and Secret Sunshine once you're done with Burning (one of my favorites of the decade, probably ever) as they're by the same dude.

Ofc, check out the rest of Director Bong's movies (The Host, Okja, Snowpiercer, etc).

New World is a lot of fun, a sort of S Korean take on Infernal Affairs / The Departed, and Age of Shadows is a bit stuffy but still a lot of fun.

-Vader

Memories of Murder is incredible
(yes still surprised by the amount of sudden drop kicks lol)

Numbers wrote:
September 28th, 2020, 1:06 pm

Kim Ki-Duk: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring and 3-Iron. Both are among my all time favorites now.

Enola Holmes
Not very good, but Millie Bobby Brown shows she can already carry a movie. Action scenes are nice, but emotional scenes feel like I've seen them ten times already in other films. 6/10
Hope the sequel is Cavill and MBB solving a mystery together, told from MBB's POV.
Kajillionnaire
A charming film. Lots of original ideas, most that work, some that don't. A satisfying ending. ERW is very good. More thoughtful and moving than funny, though there are a few good laughs, here and there. 8/10

For Korean cinema please don't miss Chang-dong Lee! That guy is a master