Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
DUNKIRKIE wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 9:27 am
Just watched Ladj Ly's Les Misérables (2019).

Fucking Tour de force...
hell yes

Also watched some kinos

Honey Boy: Definitely Labeoufs best performance yet. What a therapeutic way to make a film about his PTSD and his relationship with his father. Also Noah Jupe is working quite well at his resume, I think he has a bright future ahead of him. Also maybe Robin next to Patbat? lolol

Serenity: Holy shit, the dialogue is fucking rough and the story doesn't really flow well either. Also what a bullshit way to
romanticize a murderer lol wtf
Official Secrets: Pretty good, Knightley shines. It features some plain outrageous moments, like the editing of the memo for instance I mean how in the fuck.

Just Mercy
: Also pretty good, but I find the lack of a broader view on systemic racism/racism hurting the film more than helping it. B Jordan and Foxx are great but in the end I thought there was something missing about the film.

Danger Close: It starts off rough, and by that I mean it's a narrative mess and nothing clicks. When the battle of Long Tan begins it starts to flow a lot better though.

Queen & Slim: While I thought the film looked beautiful and Kaluuya and Turner-Smith were great, I didn't like the story that much. It's also tone-deaf for a chunk of it but I think that's more because it doesn't exactly know what it wants to be until they get to the end. I mean it's good that they decided to portray the leads as human as possible but after a while Kaluuya's character doesn't even
mind that he's killed a man anymore. Self defense or not (which I also thought was a stretch)
Not to forget that literally every black person in this film stood behind them is just wrong.
granted that man at the end ratted them out, but he still agreed with what they did
In the end, this way of handling police violence is something you can explore in film so there's that

so have you already seen proxima nomis? i have seen a torrent of it floating around already

not yet! but thanks for the heads upp

Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 6:00 pm
cheking out the housemaid tn
so this is amazing.

Appropriates the visual and musical style and of Hitchcock and Hermann for erotic smut. IE, he does De Palma years before De Palma.

Genuinely shocking for a movie from 1960.

-Vader

Fantastic Planet

I usually don't care too much for films that are heavy handed with allegory, but this was just fantastic (no pun intended or maybe fully intended).

I also think this film is one of the few cases where narration actually works. It aids in the world building a lot.

It's a great testemant to the human spirit and our will to survive and how we find ways to survive. It's something I needed during this time when everything looks bleak.

Nomis wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 10:04 am
DUNKIRKIE wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 9:27 am
Just watched Ladj Ly's Les Misérables (2019).

Fucking Tour de force...
hell yes

Also watched some kinos

Honey Boy: Definitely Labeoufs best performance yet. What a therapeutic way to make a film about his PTSD and his relationship with his father. Also Noah Jupe is working quite well at his resume, I think he has a bright future ahead of him. Also maybe Robin next to Patbat? lolol

Serenity: Holy shit, the dialogue is fucking rough and the story doesn't really flow well either. Also what a bullshit way to
romanticize a murderer lol wtf
Official Secrets: Pretty good, Knightley shines. It features some plain outrageous moments, like the editing of the memo for instance I mean how in the fuck.

Just Mercy
: Also pretty good, but I find the lack of a broader view on systemic racism/racism hurting the film more than helping it. B Jordan and Foxx are great but in the end I thought there was something missing about the film.

Danger Close: It starts off rough, and by that I mean it's a narrative mess and nothing clicks. When the battle of Long Tan begins it starts to flow a lot better though.

Queen & Slim: While I thought the film looked beautiful and Kaluuya and Turner-Smith were great, I didn't like the story that much. It's also tone-deaf for a chunk of it but I think that's more because it doesn't exactly know what it wants to be until they get to the end. I mean it's good that they decided to portray the leads as human as possible but after a while Kaluuya's character doesn't even
mind that he's killed a man anymore. Self defense or not (which I also thought was a stretch)
Not to forget that literally every black person in this film stood behind them is just wrong.
granted that man at the end ratted them out, but he still agreed with what they did
In the end, this way of handling police violence is something you can explore in film so there's that
only watched Honey Boy among these films and I like it too. Great performance by all.

The Villainess

It was cool i guess, even if the camera work and editing for the action scenes can be a bit disorienting/messy. The script was needlessly more complex then it needed to be. Some of the characters were needless and the romance was passable. Still though, it's solid entertainment even though it could've been more. Also, justice for Min-Joo, she was done dirty.

Miami Vice
This is odd but this has cracked my top 25 all time. Probably one of the best romantic movies I've ever seen. This really is an early Malick type of movie packed with intense moments like that of a Safdie movie.

Outstanding stuff. Time to go on a Mann binge

4N Legend wrote:
April 12th, 2020, 3:32 pm
Miami Vice
This is odd but this has cracked my top 25 all time. Probably one of the best romantic movies I've ever seen. This really is an early Malick type of movie packed with intense moments like that of a Safdie movie.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
April 12th, 2020, 3:46 pm
4N Legend wrote:
April 12th, 2020, 3:32 pm
Miami Vice

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Vader
Really glad I caught your article, I skimmed through a few lines and once you said it was Malickian, that's all I needed to know. The plot overall is bonkers, like half of it doesn't work but that seems to be the point, no? I mean fuck, the texture, color, the rawness, and the imperfections of this film really just blows me away.