Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Brick: Johnson is often very original in his storytelling but this didn't really connect with me.

Dracula: Fun to see Lee and Cushing in their much younger days, the film is wonderfully kitsch.

Dracula Prince of Darkness: It's a pity Lee is not in this a whole lot and the only sound he makes is some hissing lol, some of the acting of the other actors is pretty hammy and dare I say bad lol

Cel: Read this book some time ago, it's an okay adaptation but overall a bit lacking.

Dracula Has Risen from the Grave: This one was a lot of fun. Lee is on a roll and the story was entertaining. I love how they just pick things right up where they left of with these films.

Little Women: Saw the '33 film earlier this year and Gerwig's adaptation is coming up so I continued with the '49 film. I read they wrote the screenplay off of the '33 film and tbh it's not as strong as that one. It's fun seeing Taylor and Leigh but overall I think this feels a lot more dated than the '33 film. The fact that they shot everything in a studio, even the scenes taking place outdoors, doesn't help. Going to watch the '94 adaptation soon.

Taste the Blood of Dracula: The Christoper Lee/Dracula saga continues but this one is obviously a whole of a lot simpler on the plot and the plots of the previous films aren't that dense to begin with. Gotta say that Lee continues to be a pro and I know he didn't want to return so often but he's easily the best thing about these films.

Star Wars Episode VII The Force Awakens: As said in the (Rey)Awakens thread: it's way too familiar.

Star Wars Episode VIII The Last Jedi: And as said in the TLJ thread, I really admire Johnson going for originality but he too falls prey to going back too much to the OT. The narrative is mostly engaging and pretty much all of the new stuff is great but it's not polished enough to bring it to a completely satisfying end.

Star Wars Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker: Whatever went on behind the scenes, I think more time for writing would've been the biggest possible help. They've churned this ST out in a mere four years if you look at the release dates alone.
I also think it would've been a much better idea to start with a proper outline for the ST and go from there, something which they haven't done. There are some nice ideas in this and some great scenes
especially the one with Ford and Driver
with Driver being the MVP of this entire trilogy. Ridley is surprisingly good in this and all in all, they did make a spectacle out of it.

Count Dracula: A welcome side-step in the Hammer Dracula films, it tries to stick closer to Stoker's story and Lee gets a better written part, and he's great as per usual, but these films are all so engraved in this kitsch sort of storytelling or whatever you'd call it. I'm going to watch Lee's other Dracula films too but I think after/including Taste the Blood of Dracula it's all downhill from here. Since I do admire this one.

The Cloverfield Paradox: A convoluted mess. Debicki and Raw are good though.

Once Upon A Time In... Hollywood: On one hand, Rick Dalton is one of Tarantino's most endearing protagonists. On the other, Tarantino's vision of not only the '60s at large, but even of Hollywood during that period is too small, too facile, and makes you question why he even set the movie during that period.

Nightmare before Christmas

It's always delightful to revisit this stop-motion classic.

9/10

Black Christmas (1974)
This was really tense and grim but in a good way. I never knew that
'the call is coming from inside the house' thing
came from this movie. looking at the last shot of the film, though, one might ask why noone would be able t see what the audience can see and why
noone went to check in the attic
at all. he acting's great, the jokes (what few there are) are funny and the characters are endearing while the creepy moments of the film create proper dread.

NB: it is my (almost) firm belief that the police lieutenant moved to Elm Street after this.

8.5/10

Fighting with my Family
As if I didn't love Florence Pugh already after I saw her in Lady Macbeth. She's been giving proper movie star performances this year and I'd say she's owed all the awards. Not only is it rare that women wrestlers get to be the main focus of films anyway but the film is quite funny and even emotional in a number of places. Really goes to show how much goes into wrestling as a piece of entertainment as well as a sport. One of the best films of the year for me.

9/10

London (2005)
7.3/10

Really terrific acting from Statham and Evans :thumbup:

Batfan175 wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 3:34 am
]
Black Christmas (1974)
This was really tense and grim but in a good way. I never knew that
'the call is coming from inside the house' thing
came from this movie. looking at the last shot of the film, though, one might ask why noone would be able t see what the audience can see and why
noone went to check in the attic
at all. he acting's great, the jokes (what few there are) are funny and the characters are endearing while the creepy moments of the film create proper dread.

NB: it is my (almost) firm belief that the police lieutenant moved to Elm Street after this.

8.5/10
call coming from inside the house, I believe, actually comes from the babysitter urban legend that predates the film and it was just used here.
Also, John Saxon is the man

I watched the Muppet Christmas Carol for the very first time today and it coincides with the first time I have seen a Muppet movie as well. What a way to experience Christmas in the last days of this decade.

Batfan175 wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 10:33 am
I watched the Muppet Christmas Carol for the very first time today and it coincides with the first time I have seen a Muppet movie as well. What a way to experience Christmas in the last days of this decade.
The best Christmas movie imo

Bacon wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 12:52 pm
Batfan175 wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 10:33 am
The best Christmas movie imo
I myself prefer the 1984 Christmas Carol with George C Scott but mainly because I actually get teary-eyed during that one.

Christmas Vacation or It's a Wonderful Life for me. Easily the two best Christmas films.

Uncut Gems

Really good follow up to Good time but suffers from being far more predictable. Good Times pace is relentless while this cant quite capture that same feeling. Sandler is amazing. Visuals and sound are top notch as well.