Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

It could have been more scarier and I wish Del Toro directed. But enjoyable nonetheless and a good time pass.

Story of Temple Drake

I watched Miriam Hopkins in Design for Living last week and today I saw this. She is such a good actress! And this was a very pulpy movie so naturally I loved it.

Duck Soup

This was my first Marx Brothers movie. Comedies have really gone down the drain since haven't they?

IT Chapter One

I'd forgotten how gorgeous the cinematography is in this. It's so beautiful and I like how the color palette is varied based on the scene and the emotions in the scene.

That kid who plays Eddie, oh my gosh. I noticed it a lot more but he is so sassy. If I ever have kids I would die if my kid ended up like that lol.

Since last watching this, I noticed even more how sweet the fat boi is. He has such a big heart! And as someone who stuttered as a kid, the kid with the stutter was pretty spot on too. That kid is a good actor.

I'm so pumped for Chapter 2 now.

the human condition pt 3

this doesn't reflect the film it's just what i'm watching to make me feel better

Inglourious Basterds: been three and a half years since I last saw this. I absolutely love this film, with each viewing more and more. It's just fantastic all around. The performances are top notch. Waltz gets the most meaty role but Pitt, Kruger, Laurent, Fassbender, Brühl like everyone in this film is great. When I first saw this film I had some issues with the way the Chapter's chopped up the narrative* but I was so incredibly wrong. It's amazing. *i.e. them taking quite a while but it works
Richardson's work is beautiful, with trademark lit table of course. The use of music is spot on, Tarantino's humour works so well. It's just, flawless. At the same time, it convincingly looks like the 1940s while also feeling timeless. This film is already ageing damn fine but hell, it's going to age better and better. I think, like Tarantino puts so himself, this is his masterpiece.

Seeing Once Upon a time in Hollywood tomorrow! I have only seen the first trailer and I don't remember if I saw all of that. I know the premise but I have no idea what the plot is and I haven't been spoiled. Very excited to see it. Pitt was so fucking good in Inglourious Basterds and DiCaprio was amazing in Django Unchained, so I'm pretty stoked to see them work with Tarantino again in Once Upon a time in Hollywood. I'm seeing it on 35mm. I heard someone say they used 8mm and 16mm, too.

Spider-Man: Far From Home: I don't think they'll ever get on Raimi's Spider-Man 2 level. Nevertheless, this was still very entertaining. Gyllenhaal was superb and Zendaya was delightful. I'm convinced she's the real deal. Her performance in HBO's Euphoria alone proves that but then delivering something like this, which couldn't be more different, proves that even further. Can't wait to see her in Dune.
I must say that while I liked how they adapted Mysterio's powers in the film, I can't help but being baffled by how astonishing* the VFX could look in one shot and downright terrible in the next, all throughout the film. Not to forget those couple of reshoot scenes... Basically Justice League level bad green screen fixing lol
Great that JK Simmons is back, not sure what to think of them putting Peter's identity out in the open
I must say that seeing Spidey swing through NYC at the end was cool, I didn't get the same sense of wonder as with Raimi's films... Is it because of the VFX (which I doubt?) or because the story just isn't as emotionally developed as Raimi's Spider-Man films, and the film lacks a proper score to accompany such visuals? Elfman's work was so fucking good
Scary Stories to tell in the dark: This was fun, lightweight horror. Quite liked the practical effects.

The Rose Tattoo

I saw this at Film Forum in NYC today. Omg Anna Magnani is amazing. Her acting in this is so great and her monologues have so much depth and hurt in them.

The more I think about this movie, the more I like it. I feel like I'll revisit it again and do a deep thot essay on it.

It's been a long time since I've watched this movie, and I'd go as far to say I grew up watching this, so I have some sort of tenderness for it. However, I've never before realised how wrong Tony Scott was for this script; it seems like he's too embarrassed to direct a straight-up Sci-Fi flick and instead treats it like a throwaway procedural. If this movie was released today and was directed by someone like Denis Villeneuve, with a couple of script touch ups, this could have been a wicked film. Instead, file it under "cool Sci-Fi concepts that weren't utilised to their full potential", right next to Transcendence.

13 Assassins

That was pretty good. Some of the scenes got some genuine shock from me. The finale battle might've been a bit too long though.

Love Affair or The Case of a Missing Switchboard Operator (1967)

Found this on Criterion Channel. A very very sad film. I am amazed how filmakers are able to find such new ways to treat such a routine story (doomed romance in this case) and make it feel completely fresh, even after 50 years.

Magic Blade (1976)

Well not as crazy as Chor Yuen's Killer Clans, this Shaw Brothers is fun in it's own ways. Firstly it wears its spaghetti western influences/homages on its sleeve. Devil Grandma is hilarious and easily the most memorable character. What's unusual is the thoughtful and profound solution to the central mystery which is a rarity in Shaw Brothers film, and can be attributed to Gu Long, whose novel the film is based on. These Chor Yuen - Gu Long collaborations are their own beasts and I'm just glad so many of them exist as I have just started.

Crippled Avengers (1978)

Don't think Shaw Brothers get better than this. Or martial arts films. Or Chang Cheh. Insane premise with insane choreography. The action is full with twists, surprises and payoffs, resulting in an absolutely stunning Kung Fu film. Chang Cheh had come a long way from One Armed Swordsman.

The Set-Up (1949)

Probably the first great film by Robert Wise. From the opening credits I had a feeling it might be special. This lean and mean boxing picture is beautifully shot and feels extremely powerful in how it shows it's world. Let's see what Body and Soul has to offer.

Blow Out

I guess you can put this up with Rear Window in the short list of critically acclaimed films that I am left incredibly unimpressed by...