Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Great film. Wonderful directing and pretty great acting from the two main leads. I felt the tones clashed a little bit throughout and it was a bit disorienting at times (I only had decided that I truly liked this film around half way through), but some choices made in this were really inspired.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
4N Legend wrote:
ArmandFancypants wrote:

welcome
So glad I found this film. Any similar recommendations?
In the Loop is a very close cousin, since Iannucci and Morris both got their start together.

Most of the other material to delve into is on TV - Alan Partridge and The Day Today of course, and The Thick of It.
I've seen Alan Partridge Alpha Papa which was pretty good but I will definitely dive into this soon, thank you

Sausage Party

Not bad. Wish they'd have come up with maybe a smarter story to fit all the allegories they stuffed into this, but this was good dumb over the top fun. Hawking Gum was MVP

This was sweet

antovolk wrote:Sausage Party

Not bad. Wish they'd have come up with maybe a smarter story to fit all the allegories they stuffed into this, but this was good dumb over the top fun. Hawking Gum was MVP
The one I think about this movie, the less I like it. It was exactly what I predicted it would be, and worse. A lot of the humor was gratuitous and over-the-top.
Every second word being a swear word, raping a juice box and every character having an orgy is considered funny?Really?

I watched Sorcerer (Friedkin, 1977) for the first time today.

It's got nothing on The Wages of Fear, but the bridge set piece is a genuine marvel. One of the all time greatest set pieces ever. The New Hollywood stylings get in the way of the visceral intensity (ten zoom shots too many), and there's more than a little German New Wave (Herzog mainly) in the staging of the set pieces. But feels scattered.

B+ / A-

-Vader

Goddamn I've wanted to see that for so long.

Friedkin is the definition of mixed bag. Often within a film.

A New Leaf (1971)
Dir. Elaine May

Brilliant. Simply one of the best comedies, full stop. Can't believe it took this long to see it. Perhaps the perfect Matthau performance.

Bacon wrote:Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Great film. Wonderful directing and pretty great acting from the two main leads. I felt the tones clashed a little bit throughout and it was a bit disorienting at times (I only had decided that I truly liked this film around half way through), but some choices made in this were really inspired.
When you say "the tones clashed a little bit throughout", do you have a specific example in mind?
Just curious, cuz I think the film's a fucking masterpiece.

It felt like it would oddly cut from a serious moment to one that clashed such as
Mary's affair being revealed to Jim Carrey being in a toddler's outfit. That was my biggest issue (the toddler and sink bath parts).

OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies

Dujardin plays this agent that's almost a hybrid of Johnny English and Napoleon Solo, which was pretty amusing to watch. It's easily an enjoyable comedy spy film.