Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Nomis wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 7:08 am
Artemis wrote:
February 10th, 2019, 11:10 pm
Just saw Cold War AMA.
Oh god...that last line of dialogue and the last shot will haunt me for a long while.
It's so good and Kulig's performance is just pure bliss
Yes! She was so dazzling! I liked a lot of her line delivery
like in the studio scene where Wiktor is like "You need to believe in yourself" and she responds with "I do believe in myself. It's you I don't believe in." Like damn girl.
LelekPL wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 7:25 am
Artemis wrote:
February 10th, 2019, 11:10 pm
Just saw Cold War AMA.
Oh god...that last line of dialogue and the last shot will haunt me for a long while.
Oh, the last line is one of the best of the year.
Were the songs in the movie actual Polish folk songs or were they written for the movie? The songs were so beautiful.

Artemis wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 9:30 am
Were the songs in the movie actual Polish folk songs or were they written for the movie? The songs were so beautiful.
Honestly I don't know. Most people around here don't really listen to folk music and neither do I but I assume they were real. I can check that for you, though.

LelekPL wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 9:32 am
Artemis wrote:
Honestly I don't know. Most people around here don't really listen to folk music and neither do I but I assume they were real. I can check that for you, though.
I would appreciate it! And I'll do some googling myself too.

Artemis wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 9:33 am
LelekPL wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 9:32 am
Artemis wrote:
I would appreciate it! And I'll do some googling myself too.
QUICK UPDATE: Yep, they're all real Polish folk songs.

LelekPL wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 9:37 am
QUICK UPDATE: Yep, they're all real Polish folk songs.
I was just about to say this. Saw that Mira Ziminska was credit as writing the lyrics on IMDB and she ran the Mazowsze folk group.

The amount of research that went into this film is amazing.

True Lies: Still one of my favourite Cameron films. It's just so much fun. It's got that Bond groove, Schwarzenegger and especially Curtis and Paxton are on a roll in this. Very entertaining. It does bother me that apparently there does exist a 4K remaster, but Cameron doesn't have time or just doesn't make time to review it (he said it takes 14 hours to do that for one film, the other is The Abyss btw). I would love to see a 4K remaster of both those films.

Jarhead: I don't know why, but for some reason I've stalled watching this film for years. And having seen it, I still don't know why I did that lol. This was a lot more enjoying than I expected it to be. The main focus is the dullness of war and I think they achieved showing that without becoming a dull film itself. Mendes and Deakins delivered something beautiful to look at, too. Gyllenhaal, Fox and Sarsgaard were great.

Trois Couleurs: Rouge: The cherry on top of a marvellous trilogy. Kieślowski is a god. The way the characters interact, the way people just narrowly miss each other, how they ponder is masterly portrayed here. There's so much going on in here and yet the films never feel like they go on too long or considering their runtime, are too short. How Kieślowski connects these three films was just pitch perfect. A sublime ending to a faultless trilogy.

In the Mood for Love: Wong Kar-Wai is very much of the characters, rather than the plot. While I do think this story is nicely tied up, in a way, I always did hope it would go for the full blown love-story. But that's not what the film is about and that is fine. Loved the look of the film.

Colette: Adequate film, made better by its lead performances. I just can't care for this digital look of films about this time period. It still feels phoney to me. Which is a pity because it's not like they didn't put a lot of detail in the sets and costumes.

Candyman: Virginia Madsen is such a talented and gorgeous actress. I really enjoyed this horror. I must admit that literally all the jump scares worked on me lol

The Adventures of Robin Hood: So weird that this film is 81 years old... The use of technicolor 3 gives this such an oomph, it's almost unreal. I liked it, but the campiness is never far away.

12 Angry Men

The American Meme

This was a documentary on Netflix about internet culture/fame in America. The only interesting people were Paris Hilton and Brittany Furlan. They both came from totally different worlds and had parallels in their stories.

Other subjects were The Fat Jewish, Kirill, Hailey Baldwin, Emily Ratajkowski and a few others and they were pretty boring. Like Kirill was constantly talking about "ugh being paid to party is getting to me" okay dude just like quit then? I have little patience for people who can totally change their career path but don't. He was a successful photographer before. He could surely go back to that. The Fat Jewish has a pretty insufferable personality and he proudly admits to being the first to start the fake news trend. Hailey Baldwin and Emily Ratajkowski have some rather troubling personal philosophies when it comes to sharing on social media and Ratajkowski in particular has a very dystopian view to the whole thing.

It's a mess of a documentary honestly and there is no real thesis or point. I think it would have been better if Paris Hilton and Brittany Furlan were the two main subjects. Everything else was just filler.

Has anybody seen Leto (or Summer), a russian film that was at Cannes last year? Two hours of people singing and dancing rock and punk in USSR, trying to find freedom in their art. It's a really good film, all about the rock'n roll atmosphere. Directing is great, cinematography too.

Nomis wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 4:51 pm

The Adventures of Robin Hood: So weird that this film is 81 years old... The use of technicolor 3 gives this such an oomph, it's almost unreal. I liked it, but the campiness is never far away.
You mean Technicolor 4, which was the first three color Technicolor process. :P