Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Bacon wrote:The Royal Tenenbaums
I liked this, but something about it felt off from the beginning. Almost like the common complaint of style over substance applied here. Yet, by the end I found myself being extremely connected to the characters and what was going on. Sort of confused on where I stand on this film. I think it's on the bottom of my ranking of Anderson films so far.
10th posted

Bacon wrote:The Royal Tenenbaums
I liked this, but something about it felt off from the beginning. Almost like the common complaint of style over substance applied here. Yet, by the end I found myself being extremely connected to the characters and what was going on. Sort of confused on where I stand on this film. I think it's on the bottom of my ranking of Anderson films so far.
I kinda know what you mean, it's hard to explain, and that's actually one of the reasons it's one of my least favorite Andersons.

It's certainly on the more "serious" side of his filmography, but I feel like it gets a little swallowed up by its own style. Like, to the point that -15 years later- it's almost like a self-parody of Andersonism.

I'd be interested to hear what others say, I can't recall seeing discussion on this film on NF before.

For some reason
Richie's attempted suicide
is something that stuck out to me as an example of my issue with the film. It was extremely unsettling to me, the way everything was shot and rushed into and everything. Which I guess is what Wes was going for...? Yet I felt like it was so at odds with the film itself...like, after it happens, it's glossed over and it goes back to being near slapstick comedy with awkward characters again. Then more crap goes down and the same thing happens. Compare this to when the dramatic shift in Darjeeling happens. The event happens out of left field (even has some comedic build up), only for the event itself to become extremely dire. Then the events that take place affect the rest of the film with huge impact.

Like I really don't know how to describe it, I just felt like the style was hindering the story, something that I have had NO problem with in his other films.

Maybe connection is predicated on experience. One side of my family is completely fucked up - it's allowed me to connect on a very personal level with The Royal Tenenbaums because there are those abrupt shifts and then you're back to normal. People are like that. People are difficult like Royal. Of Anderson's films, that's the one with real people in it.

Allstar wrote:
Now Where Was I ? wrote:Super

Insanely great dark comedy, I had such a blast watching this.

Obscene, Over-the-top and hilarious comedy, pathetic characters, actors having the time of their lives (especially Ellen Page)

I thought Kick-Ass was fine but highly overpraised and this is just so much better on every possible level and doesn't cheat it's initial concept.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Such an underrated gem. Definitely gaining a cult following though.
It's all gushy
Is Slither worth watching ?

Best opening credits ever btw

Definitely worth it. Super is more ballsy but Slither is great fun.

I should probably watch Super, soon.

This was sweet. The music was a bit too much and the slang was annoying at times but then again, it fits the story

Fanny och Alexander. My favourite Bergman film.

My family and I watch it every Christmas. I still haven't seen the 5 hour version though.

No Country For Old Men
Mixed feelings, but I think I'm supposed to feel that way.