Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Carrie (1976)

This film is well-written, well-directed, well-acted and the music is excellent. Honestly, the only thing I have a slight problem with is that it goes from 0 to 100 in the climax with the effects and the violence and it kinda becomes a different movie after that famous prom scene. Still a good movie but definitely different and I find myself caring more about the realistic problems of introverted outsiders in highschool than the telepathic powers and crazy religious fanatics. It's nice to have a story about a social outcast that doesn't end well for that person or really anyone else involved in their lives.

9/10

Kingsman: The Secret Service

This was hella fun. It's something really satisfying about seeing like ten world class actors in a silly CGI-fest action comedy. This is the perfect example of a movie that can be good without having a great story. Everything else was so well executed.

Second viewing and still holds up pretty well. Two completely different halves in one movie. The tonal shift is pretty risky but it works.

The man who fell to Earth

Nobody shoots sex scenes like Roeg. Nobody.

Sanchez wrote:Kingsman: The Secret Service

This was hella fun. It's something really satisfying about seeing like ten world class actors in a silly CGI-fest action comedy. This is the perfect example of a movie that can be good without having a great story. Everything else was so well executed.
First viewing?

Alien Covenant (2017)
blah. great ensemble, but if you've seen the one film you've seen them all yo.

Did your fassy get a bender whenever Walter and David were in the same scene together?

you know what? Fassy doesn't do it for me.

7212017 wrote:
Sanchez wrote:Kingsman: The Secret Service

First viewing?
Yeah

Caught up on/ rewatched some flicks on a flight:

The Lobster

Can someone help me understand what the fuck I just watched?

An Education

Mulligan was cute but the third act feels rushed and it takes away from the gravity of the consequences of the main character's actions.

Also, I was shocked at how acceptable the underage relationship was. It made the tone somewhat dissonant.

Kingsman: The Secret Service

I kinda wrote this off initially, but I had more fun on this second viewing. I love the satire of American culture here.

Before I Fall

Imagine if Groundhog Day and Life is Strange had a child but the child was deformed and had multiple disabilities so it was abandoned, it grew up homeless, living on the dirty streets, until one day it decided to fucking kill itself.

Beauty and the Beast

Watson just bored me, TBH. All I could think of throughout the runtime was how I would have loved to see someone else in it, like ... I don't know, Felicity Jones, even though that would make it Buck Teeth and the Beast (lol sorry).

I actually thought McGregor and Gad were the best.

Not really sure what this added to the legacy of this story. I mean, if it's similar enough to the cartoon, what was the point of making it live-action?