Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)

Tim Curry's just so damn fun as the sweet transvestite from Transsexual Transylvania and I find his anarchic energy and confidence (or occasional lack thereof) very contagious (which seems to also be part of the plot). A lot of the songs have held up extremely well (The Time Warp, Sweet Transvestite, I Can Make You a Man, Hot Patootie - Bless My Soul are the standouts for me and that's before the big floor show). The film's plot seems to move rather randomly at times (and occasionally it does) but watching this film for the second time I discovered that the plot is not as arbitrary as it may seem. Susan Sarandon is always fun and I enjoy the characters of Riff Raff and Magenta. The set designs and the lighting, especially during the floor show and Tim Curry's last song in particular, enhance the mindset and vision of the world of Dr. Frank N. Furter and when the final twist rolls around you just accept it because why not?

8.5/10

Havoc1st wrote:Image
Infernal Affairs - 9/10
Second time watching it. Still a fantastic movie.

Infernal Affairs 2- 6.5/10
First time watching it. It's a prequel and basically a completely different movie. I'm most probably in the minority for this but i didn't really like it that much- kinda messy narrative wise and doesn't really work as prequel imo. Kinda disappointed in it. It still had its really good moments though. I can see why people liked it.

Infernal Affair 3- 8/10
Also first time watching it. Wasn't expecting much, but boy did i really enjoyed it. It sometimes jumps timelines unnecessarily, and the conclusion , even though it still works, comes sorta came out of nowhere. It might not be as good as the first movie, but it still maintains some of the DNA of the first movie which i can't say about the second movie.
Is the Departed a remake of just the first movie or all three?

LelekPL wrote: Is the Departed a remake of just the first movie or all three?
I'm pretty sure it's just the first movie.

Bacon wrote:The Shining
This was amazing. I thought it'd be over-hyped but nope.
Yay your cherry has been popped

can't think of the Shining without thinking of that bear costumed guy shot. Probably the most disturbing moment of the film for me.

Ruth wrote:can't think of the Shining without thinking of that bear costumed guy shot. Probably the most disturbing moment of the film for me.
It's said to be tied directly to Danny being a victim of sexual abuse.

Ruth wrote:can't think of the Shining without thinking of that bear costumed guy shot. Probably the most disturbing moment of the film for me.
I knew about that going in. What I didn't know about going in was the
old lady

Bacon wrote:
I knew about that going in. What I didn't know about going in was the
old lady
Have you looked into its themes as of yet? The gold rush, etc? Fascinating whether true or not, and elevates the film to even higher degrees in its genre.

Personally, it's a masterpiece tied alongside The Exorcist for best horror film of all time.

Yeah, I've been looking into it. Lots of theories about
Native American relations with European settlers and the possible implications that Jack sexually abused Danny.
It's really cool to read even though basically 90% of it is probably debunked/not intended. But that's part of the movie's awesomeness. It leaves so much intentionally ambiguous and just works perfectly. It's like when you look at an intentionally ambiguous painting and you're left to figure out what it means/what you got out of it. Kubrick nailed it.

I also watched some videos on King's miniseries "correction" of Kubrick's film and it's absolutely hilarious.

Paddington (2014)

"Delightful" is the term that comes to mind when describing this film. The kind and gentle Paddington, who is a rather rare kind of bear, is forced to leave his homeland Peru for a strange place called London where he hopes to find a family. What he finds are the Browns who accept to take him in for the night until he manages to find the explorer who gave his uncle his hat so that he might settle down somewhere and find a home. Of course things are not that easy and soon Paddington has to worry about Nicole Kidman of all people.

The film is a very cute comedy and funny in a way that will entertain people of all ages because the humour is aimed at everyone, and while some of it is slapstick-like humour, much of it is very well done and tasteful (except for one moment where Paddington is getting ready in the Browns' bathroom). There is a constant joke involving pigeons that was funny every time and the payoff to that was great. Nicole Kidman likes to chew the scenery as the villain in this and that's sort of fun but the best parts are the more emotional, slower moments of the film where Paddington gets to interact with the family and Mrs. Brown (Sally Hawkins) in particular is really charming in the film. I can thoroughly recommend this film for people of all ages.

9/10