Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Guillermo del Toro''s Pinocchio

Well, what can I say. A masterpiece. But I already learned not to expect anything less from him.

On Christmas, I watched Miracle on 34th Street (1947). Very nice and sweet film. Gwenn is a great Santa. However, I feel the movie would have been even better in the hand of Capra. He would have been so good at mixing the description of capitalism as the driving force of american society with the need for hope and wonder that Santa incarnates. 7.5/10
I also watched Before midnight, not a christmas movie but a very good movie nonetheless. The tone isn't as sweet and tender as the first two, who were so magical. And the pacing is a little off. Each sequence is a film in itself, Linklater says. And of course, when it comes to couple arguing, nothing can top Scene from a Marriage. But the last scene is just so good. The film may be the weakest of the trilogy, but the final scene is maybe the best scene of the trilogy.
Before Sunset 9/10
Before Sunrise 8.7/10
Before Midnight 8.5/10

The menu

Boy oh boy this shit was ass

A Man For All Seasons (1966): this was an excellently-acted, very emotional historical drama about Sir Thomas More and his silence on the issue of king Henry VIII's divorce from Catherine of Aragon as well as his attitude with regard to the Oath of Supremacy declaring Henry VIII Supreme Head of the Church of England. It's these kinds of films that make me want to learn more about English medieval History/the Renaissance. The sets are beautifully shot, all the actors are engaging and it builds to an impressive climax where Sir Thomas More is able to let the audience know his true thoughts and feelings on the various matters of state in question.

Batfan175 wrote:
January 7th, 2023, 3:10 pm
A Man For All Seasons (1966): this was an excellently-acted, very emotional historical drama about Sir Thomas More and his silence on the issue of king Henry VIII's divorce from Catherine of Aragon as well as his attitude with regard to the Oath of Supremacy declaring Henry VIII Supreme Head of the Church of England. It's these kinds of films that make me want to learn more about English medieval History/the Renaissance. The sets are beautifully shot, all the actors are engaging and it builds to an impressive climax where Sir Thomas More is able to let the audience know his true thoughts and feelings on the various matters of state in question.
good movie

-Vader

Lord Shade wrote:
December 14th, 2022, 8:55 pm
Guillermo del Toro''s Pinocchio

Well, what can I say. A masterpiece. But I already learned not to expect anything less from him.
It does not have the magic of stop motion animation for a reason I do not understand yet.

Slate
See How They Run
Black Adam
Guardians of the Galaxy
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Thor: Ragnarok
The Suicide Squad
Del Toro’s Pinocchio
The Menu
Knives Out
Puss in Boots: The Last Wish (this movie's actually kinda amazingly wild)

The Ten Commandments 1956
Ben Hur 1959

Death at a Funeral (2006): a funny enough comedy. Nothing outstanding.

The Hound of the Baskervilles (1959): the Hammer version is told well enough but it makes unnecessary changes to the story towards the end. The Hound is also not really as scary as anything you can imagine reading the book. It's nice to see Christopher Lee play a decent guy and I do enjoy Peter Cushing's take on Holmes.

X (2022): an ok slasher with a great aesthetic. It has its creepy moments but whatever it tries to say gets a bit buried by the standard slasher movie tropes.

M3GAN (2022): not as great as I'd been led to believe but not bad either. It's likely just a bit overhyped imo. It's a horror movie that never really feels scary enough, let alone terrifying.

Three Thousand Years of Longing (2022): I quite enjoyed that. Yes, you know where the story is headed but the inventive stories told by Idris Elba's character are really engaging and the reliance on CG didn't bother me too much tbh. I always enjoy watching Tilda Swinton's acting and she's great here, since most of the film takes place in a hotel room and the film is still riveting.

Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves
I was EXTREMELY surprised by this. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Had some laugh out loud moments and, surprisingly, it had heart. Will definitely watch again, and I hope they make at least one more of these.