Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
The Ghost and the Darkness (1996): very intense Historical adventure film about man-eating lions in Tsavo. I know there are likely a lot of historical inaccuracies but I was engaged the entire time.

His Girl Friday (1940): screwball comedy from the 1940s. I enjoyed the fast pace and Rosalind Russel's performance in this, though I could have done with fewer instances of overlapping dialogue because at some point that aspect of the film got slightly annoying.

A Few Good Men (1992): the film was doing fine until the last couple of minutes when it became too ludicrous for its own good. Noone acts this way in a court of justice nor do lawyers argue this way. It's also too reverential of the US military as an institution tbh. The performances are generally excellent, though.

The Firm (1993): it's The Devil's Advocate but without any supernatural shenanigans. I know this film precedes The Devil's Advocate but I saw that one first. The similarities are eerie. i was entirely fascinated by Gene Hackman's character in this and Tom Cruise is very good as the main character.

Star Wars: Episode I-III

The Suicide Squad (2021)

Rocky Balboa
The Suicide Squad
Zack Snyder's Justice League

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum
This was quite enjoyable as a comedy. I tend to have a fondness for Sondheim musicals and this one is also an excellent adaptation. Zero Mostel is great as the slave Pseudolus, a role he had previously played on stage as well. I also enjoyed the bombastic performance of Leon Greene as the narcissistic brute Miles Gloriosus but really everyone is giving it their all here. Not all the songs are memorable imo but none of them are outright bad. The chase at the end does become a bit long but it does not ruin the film for me at all.

The taming of the shrew (1967)
The play is sexist. There is no way around this fact. The husband psychologically abusing his wife is painful to watch and I felt terrible for Katherine as played by Elizabeth Taylor on many occasions during this film. Which is not to say there is nothing to be enjoyed about the film. It features excellent performances all around, from Taylor and Richard Burton especially. The film also tries to subvert the terrible message of the play at the end after playing the last big speech seemingly straight but it is too little too late I feel. I feel bad for saying this because I enjoyed the performances, the costuming, etc. but that in itself does not make a problematic source material less troubling. I can appreciate the attempt to subvert the ending but even then it feels a bit too subtle so I fear most viewers will not even notice it.

Deadpool 2
Fridging ain't cool. And while this film is enjoyable enough, it is not as good as the first one. Domino is the best character in the film.

Tangled
It's enjoyable enough but I somehow expected more and halfway through I was wondering how amazing a faithful animated telling of the story could be and that's always a bad sign for your film. I did not feel that way watching the animated Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, etc. so it's a bit of a shame.

Rob Zombie's Halloween Unrated Director's Cut!

Freddy VS Jason!

Wes Craven's New Nightmare

Scream 3

He's All That
It wasn't... terrible. I'm a fan of fun feel good romantic comedies. Pitch Perfect and Mean Girls are some of my favorite movies. But I was never a fan of She's All That. Sure, it's fun to laugh at the hilarious notion that taking of your glasses makes you hot and valuable and it did had a surprisingly strong cast but it's been done much better in Not Another Teen Movie. This one is alright. The acting is pretty bad but the young cast has time to grow. Actors like Keanu and He's All That's Paul Walker were bad as well at first but later had some solid performances. It's ok to watch on a Sunday morning and have some laughs at the premise.

V for Vendetta

Spiderman: Far From Home

Rob Zombie's Halloween!

Malignant

Feels so good to have the real James Wan back again. The script isn't worth much and
you can see the twist from a mile away
but those brilliant tricks of his have returned in full glory.

Also
Ray Chase is everywhere
these days, lol. More power to him.

The Untouchables

Good chemistry. And always fun to see Sean Connery act.