Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
nomadland - Sad! but good!
from up on poppy hill - comfy! and wholesome!
malcom & marie - writer-y! but okay! it took 5 sittings to finish it!
soul - tender moments! but too nolan-y for it's own good!

thats like the best review you could've given to malcolm n marie

i think it literally sets the world record for characters saying eachothers names

that, and His Dark Materials (the amount of times I've heard people say "Lyra"... Well, lets just say I have not even finished the series yet)

The Ox Bow Incident
A Western about the dangers of mob mentality and starring Henry Fonda is exactly what I needed. Everyone in that film at the beginning is dying to inflict some kind of violence for some kind of reason, doesn't really matter against who or why. Ultimately, they hear that someone's been murdered and the whole town (save for some individuals) are ready to hang the perpertrator(s). The film ends in a grim but not necessarily nihilistic way because of the change in outlook of Henry Fonda's character on life in general. The performances are generally great and while there are a couple of scenes whose purpose is not immediately apparent (Fonda comes across his former lover and her new husband on the road), the film moves along at a great pace, as the story is pretty straightforward.

9/10

The Thing from Another World
Men fight extraterrestrial vegetable in the Arctic. This film is a lot more upbeat and optimistic than the John Carpenter remake. I rather enjoyed the film, though if I had to choose I would take the remake, simply because the creature in this film is not often shown and barely interacts with the cast, most of which are military personnel and while I do enjoy military men and scientists argue about the value of scientific discovery, the level of dread and tension is sadly not comparable between the two films.

7/10

Love Nest
I found that many films slap Marilyn Monroe's face on the cover of the DVD when all she does is have at best two minutes of screen time in the entire film. The film is an enjoyable comedy but not laugh out loud funny tbh, though you'd think that a story about people becoming landlords would provide enough opportunities for comedy. If you are looking for something light and fluffy, I'd say this film is decent but it's not a great film with big ambitions and that's a bit of a shame.

6.5/10

Nomadland

Really good. Beautifully directed and most of all feels genuine to the people its portraying. Never loses itself in being too cinematic or over the top. Everything just falls into place naturally and with real authenticity. Its quite moving. Zhao is a very promising talent who I have a feeling has yet to make her best work.

John Wick 3

Only little bit better than 2 (which i found was only kinda okay), but still not as well done as the first movie.

The Parallax View (1974)
Born Into Brothels (2004)
Man Push Cart (2005)
A Sunday in the Country (1984)
Tora! Tora! Tora! (1970)
Nightmare Alley (1947)
The Trip to Bountiful (1985)
Dead of Night (1945)

Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai (1999):
Excellent, next to DeadMan, my favorite Jim Jarmush. Forest Whitaker is so good, a truly legendary performance.

The Conformist (1970):
This movie looks too good. Leaves you in a place of desolation.

Angel Heart (1987):
I wish this had lived up to its elevator pitch. It's cool and worth a watch. This reminds me of Shutter Island, where the twists, or mystery is so obvious you can see it coming the moment the movie starts.

The In-Laws (1979):
This is hilarious, and my man Peter Faulk is the GOAT.

The Boys Season 1 and 2:
Very entertaining and nastey. It was a good time.

Princess Mononoke

This has like seven moments in it where my jaw dropped from what was going on, and I had seen it before a few years back. Absolutely gorgeous and exhilarating.