Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Durden wrote:
January 11th, 2021, 7:18 pm
Pieces of a Woman

The first thirty minutes of this are fantastic, and really confidently directed. What comes after is a mix of good and bad. I think the films really struggles to find a visual style and direction. Feels like a young director who borrows from his idols but it suffers from having its own identity. The last scene which I'm not sure it needs is straight out of a Malick film. I almost feel like it would have benefited from ending on the previous scene. Acting is top notch though. Overall worth checking out.
I saw it yesterday and I felt the same way about the ending.

There's a lot to love here, especially Vanessa Kirby's performance. She knocks it out of the park imo. I thought the 128min runtime was excessive though, and given the recent allegations, some of the actions of Shia LaBeouf's character rubbed me the wrong way (pun not intended).

Durden wrote:
January 11th, 2021, 7:18 pm
Pieces of a Woman

The first thirty minutes of this are fantastic, and really confidently directed. What comes after is a mix of good and bad. I think the films really struggles to find a visual style and direction. Feels like a young director who borrows from his idols but it suffers from having its own identity. The last scene which I'm not sure it needs is straight out of a Malick film. I almost feel like it would have benefited from ending on the previous scene. Acting is top notch though. Overall worth checking out.
I really should check this out then. 2020 watchlist grows longer and longer.

-Vader

if anyone can direct me somewhere that tells me when movies that specifically I have been looking forward to come out that'd be great cause i can't handle learning about things incedentally anymore

Numbers wrote:
January 11th, 2021, 7:38 pm
and given the recent allegations, some of the actions of Shia LaBeouf's character rubbed me the wrong way (pun not intended).
The timing of this could not be worse for him. He is great regardless though. This is Kirbys film nonetheless she is right with Mulligan as the best of year for me.

Durden, Beanpole has two of the best performances of the year by women (or in general, really). One in particular. Some say it's a bit slow, but I found it enormously captivating and just gorgeous. Has shades of Christian Petzold, if that intrigues you.

I highly recommend it.

-Vader

MASH
While I was watching it, I realised that I just wasn't laughing that much. It just ain't that funny because 2/3rds of the sometimes rather puerile jokes are about sex and some of it seems really problematic. This feels like a film that has aged badly and frankly there are better satire about the US military out there tbh. Watch one of those instead.

5/10

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
Now this was a funny slapstick comedy. The only problem I have is that the car chase towards the end gets a bit long but otherwise a very enjoyable comedy.

8.5/10

Vader182 wrote:
January 12th, 2021, 12:51 am
Durden, Beanpole has two of the best performances of the year by women (or in general, really). One in particular. Some say it's a bit slow, but I found it enormously captivating and just gorgeous. Has shades of Christian Petzold, if that intrigues you.

I highly recommend it.

-Vader
Love Beanpole.

Vader182 wrote:
January 6th, 2021, 6:57 am
if a sensorily assaultive Japanese surreal satire hitman exploitation movie sounds appealing to you, boy can not recommend Branded to Kill enough. Brilliant, and brilliant genre fun.

My favorite Suzuki.

-Vader
Yeah after watching half a dozen of his 60s films, it's obvious that he peaked with this one. And I prefer Story of a Prostitute and Youth of The Beast over Tokyo Drifter. Having said that Drifter deserves a rewatch. Also Underworld Beauty is criminally underrated, it's the textbook definition of a fun film, I discovered it during an assignment. Need to check out his later period trilogy which are very different films from the rest of his ouvre.

I saw Come Play and Wolfwalkers today. The former is one of the worst movies I've seen from 2020; the latter is one of the best.

Wolfwalkers was just absolutely beautiful.

Been watching a lot of Billy Wilder films lately. Is it just me or is Wilder the most underappreciated director of all-time? I mean, sure, in the film community he is highly regarded, yet even amongst cinephiles he rarely gets mentioned in the GOAT conversation of directors. Among the general public, most have never even heard of him.

And yet, has there been a more versatile director--

1)Double Indemnity (considered one of the greatest film noirs)
2)Sunset Boulevard (also considered one of the greatest film noirs)
3)Some Like it Hot (routinely considered the greatest comedy)
4)The Apartment (one of the great rom-coms and heralded in the end of the Hays Code)

Then you have the brilliant and well ahead of its time, Ace in the Hole, the classic Sabrina, and the great Agatha Christie adaptation, Witness for the Prosecution. And I've still yet to see The Lost Weekend, his first Best Picture winner.

Sorry for the long, rambling post. Insights are welcome.