Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Kingdom of Heaven (Director's Cut)
I finally watched the director's cut (didn't bother with the theatrical one tbh) and I really enjoyed it, though I'm sure there are historical inaccuracies aplenty with Ridley Scott's take on the Crusades. Edward Norton and Ghassan Massoud are the standouts and Eva Green is great as the Queen of Jerusalem. However, as far as I understand the historical figure portrayed by Orlando Bloom was not illegitimate so I fail to see how he would be able to inherit anything. A moment that took me slightly out of the film was the use of Vide Cor Meum, as I was instantly reminded of the 2001 film Hannibal that also uses it and as also directed by Ridley Scott. However, it's gorgeously shot, the focus is on the personalities more than on large-scale battles, although there are those too and I overall was never bored during the 3 hour of this film.

9/10

Emperor's New Groove (Ein Königreich für ein Lama)
Tbh I prefer the German dub. Always a fun comedy to watch and a one-of-a-kind film for Disney.

9/10

DUNKIRKIE wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 6:26 am
The Nice Guys dir. Shane Black

Damn I enjoyed this movie so much. Shane Black knows how to make a fun picture! Ryan Gosling definitely should do more comedies and the chemisty between him with Russel Crowe is just so good.

And Angourie Rice, what a young talent. Wish all the best for her career.
It's not one of my absolute favorite movies but everytime it's on I don't change the channel and finish the movie. It is a very enjoyable movie.

bootsy wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 10:47 pm
DUNKIRKIE wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 6:26 am
The Nice Guys dir. Shane Black

Damn I enjoyed this movie so much. Shane Black knows how to make a fun picture! Ryan Gosling definitely should do more comedies and the chemisty between him with Russel Crowe is just so good.

And Angourie Rice, what a young talent. Wish all the best for her career.
It's not one of my absolute favorite movies but everytime it's on I don't change the channel and finish the movie. It is a very enjoyable movie.
I wish there will be a sequel, though it's very unlikely. The movie only made 62 mil against its 50-mil budget.

if a sensorily assaultive Japanese surreal satire hitman exploitation movie sounds appealing to you, boy can not recommend Branded to Kill enough. Brilliant, and brilliant genre fun.

My favorite Suzuki.

-Vader

I'm in love with 85% of Another Round lmao.
It's really good. Everyone's really fucking good in it.
There's a lull in the second act, but ultimately, it comes together.
The quartet's carelessness is given a proper and believable response. It works!

And when Mads broke out in dance in the end?

I wanted to dance with him.

ALSO..

Promising Young Woman was pretty twisted and fun.

I didn't like Shadow in the Cloud at all.

Gretel & Hansel looks amazing. If I'm not mistaken, it's shot on an Arri Alexa Mini w/ Zeiss UP lenses (it's CLEANNN). Liked it a lot less than The Blackcoat's Daughter tho.

Greenland
Another apocalyptic movie. Enjoyable - 8/10

Ok well, Tenet was enjoyable.

Even if it's at times the overly-annoying version of Inception.

I give it several galaxy brains out of 10.

Sound of Metal- Fucking great. Give Riz Ahmed an Oscar nom.

Tommy (1975)
Birds of Prey (2020)
Twentieth Century (1934)
Night Moves (1975)
The One I Love (2014)
Soleil O (1970)
Castle in the Sky (1986)
Amphibian Man (1962)
Scarecrow (1973)
The Assassin (2015)
Waking Life (2001)
Downpour (1972)
You Can Count on Me (2000)
Irma Vep (1996)

Pieces of a Woman

The first thirty minutes of this are fantastic, and really confidently directed. What comes after is a mix of good and bad. I think the films really struggles to find a visual style and direction. Feels like a young director who borrows from his idols but it suffers from having its own identity. The last scene which I'm not sure it needs is straight out of a Malick film. I almost feel like it would have benefited from ending on the previous scene. Acting is top notch though. Overall worth checking out.