Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
User avatar
Posts: 2486
Joined: June 2011
Batfan175 wrote:
November 30th, 2020, 5:35 pm
bootsy wrote:
November 29th, 2020, 3:32 pm
Batfan175 wrote:
November 29th, 2020, 11:38 am

Zodiac (2007)
David Fincher's best film to date and it's sad that he has not managed to make something as gripping as this in the last 13 years.
He has. And it's not sad because you're wrong.
No he hasn't. Fincher to me is an overrated director who is at his best when he does depressing crime thriller stuff, which was a while ago. But that's just my opinion, if you love his later stuff that's totally cool, I'm just not part of the group of admirers of his later oeuvre.
:crazy:

Posts: 13
Joined: August 2020
Total Recall (the original). Mrs had never seen it. Classic.

User avatar
Posts: 20068
Joined: June 2010
Location: The White City
I just went through James Cameron's filmography and god damn is he just a master. A handful of perfect movies and a bunch of merely amazing ones. He's the greatest living director of cinematic action, narrative structure, setting up and paying off, and mythic archetype.

The Terminator (A)
Aliens (A+)
The Abyss (B+)
Terminator 2: Judgement Day (A+)
True Lies (C+ but has some great stuff)
Titanic (A+)
Avatar (A)

I cannot wait for the Avatar sequels.


-Vader

Posts: 467
Joined: November 2019
Vader182 wrote:
December 2nd, 2020, 3:07 am
I just went through James Cameron's filmography and god damn is he just a master. A handful of perfect movies and a bunch of merely amazing ones. He's the greatest living director of cinematic action, narrative structure, setting up and paying off, and mythic archetype.

The Terminator (A)
Aliens (A+)
The Abyss (B+)
Terminator 2: Judgement Day (A+)
True Lies (C+ but has some great stuff)
Titanic (A+)
Avatar (A)

I cannot wait for the Avatar sequels.


-Vader
Love all those movies. Except True Lies because I haven’t seen it.

Looking forward to the sequels as well.

User avatar
Posts: 3088
Joined: January 2015
Location: Poland
Cameron is really good. T2 is a masterpiece of sci-fi action movies and Aliens is not that far behind. I wasn't thrilled with Avatar on repeat viewings but the spectacle in the cinema was something else. That was a true "theme park" movie, you felt like you are going on a ride to a different planet. Home viewing could not replicate that experience at all and storytelling cliches showed more of its head.

I'd rank him as follows:
1. T2 - 10/10
2. The Terminator - 9/10
3. Aliens - 9/10
4. Abyss - 8/10
5. Titanic - 8/10
6. True Lies - 7/10
7. Avatar - 6/10

User avatar
Posts: 19013
Joined: June 2012
Location: stuck in 2020
Vader182 wrote:
December 2nd, 2020, 3:07 am
I just went through James Cameron's filmography and god damn is he just a master. A handful of perfect movies and a bunch of merely amazing ones. He's the greatest living director of cinematic action, narrative structure, setting up and paying off, and mythic archetype.

The Terminator (A)
Aliens (A+)
The Abyss (B+)
Terminator 2: Judgement Day (A+)
True Lies (C+ but has some great stuff)
Titanic (A+)
Avatar (A)

I cannot wait for the Avatar sequels.


-Vader
Piranha II tho??

User avatar
Posts: 8184
Joined: October 2012
Location: Gran Pulse
U.S. Marshals

Forgettable but serviceable to watch. I was expecting worse.

User avatar
Forum Pro
Law
Posts: 17001
Joined: July 2010
Location: Moonlight Motel
Sound of Metal is the best movie of 2020 and Riz Ahmed will be nominated and possibly win best actor.
Image

Posts: 564
Joined: July 2010
The only thing disappointing with Cameron is that he would eventually be giving almost 30 years of his career to Avatar films, when he made some hands down amazing films in the first 13 years of his career.

Tenet (2020)

First half was dumb fun. But post that it was a constant barrage of absolute batshit crazy stuff even by Nolan's standards. The last 30 minutes or so had the best action set piece since Fury Road.

Also once again I didn't have any issue with sound in the IMAX I watched, just like every other Nolan films of the past decade.

4/5

youtube has been spamming grand budapest hotel videos at me for awhile so i decided to watch it.

1) the main reason this film doesn't live on in the hearts and minds of the people is that ralph feinnes was miscast. the role needed someone much more foppish/eccentric. he could do all the monologues fine but he's too buttoned down which is at odds with his character's zanyness.
1 a) the minor reason is that it's 30% like hateful eight in that the technique is level 1000+ but to the point where it feels like an excercise which leaves you cold.

2) this film is fantastic because it helped me realize that even though 2020 sucks there were at least like 20 years in the 1900's that were as bad or much worse so yeah. we're still living the dream

Post Reply