Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
marshallmurphy wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 9:36 pm
Films I've watched so far in January:

The Draughtsman's Contract (1982)
Empire of Passion (1978)
I Shot Jesse James (1949)
At Eternity's Gate (2018)
Spaceballs (1987)
Brightness (1987)
Beginners (2010)
Le Doulos (1962)
Body and Soul (1925)
Female Trouble (1974)
Whisky Galore! (1949)
The Adventures of Prince Achmed (1926)
Let the Sunshine In (2017)
The Lodger (1927)
Fahrenheit 9/11 (2004)
Louie Bluie (1985)

I'm currently working on watching all films on the Criterion Collection and the 1001 Movies. It's slow going right now, as I'm mostly only able to watch movies on the weekends due to work, but I'm hoping to be able to watch more this summer and catch up on all the award season movies I missed this past year. My favorites out of this group were Alfred Hitchcock's The Lodger and At Eternity's Gate.
Whisky galore! is a masterpiece, by the way.

marshallmurphy wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 9:36 pm
I'm currently working on watching all films on the Criterion Collection and the 1001 Movies.
¿por qué?

Sorry to Bother You (2018)
It's a good film but the twist makes the film just a bit too weird. I get the idea but it's just so ridiculous that it diminishes the point the film was ironically trying to make by using that rather obvious visual metaphor. I liked how they visually represented telephone calls in an interesting way though. Overall, the hype killed this film a bit because I was expecting some kind of world-changing film and in the end it turned out to be more of the beginning of a conversation than an actual discussion. Fun but not that deep.

8/10

Network (1976)
Now this is a great showcase for actors and social commentary. I enjoy a dark satire like this that can also pull off some rather amazing emotional moments whilst taking aim at consumer society. Still relevant (I would say even more relevant) today.

9/10

Demoph wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 2:50 pm
Whisky galore! is a masterpiece, by the way.
Indeed it is! I enjoyed it very much.

Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
January 29th, 2020, 2:59 pm
¿por qué?
Because I am insane! :lol:

No, to be honest I'm a major film buff and also have a very obsessive personality; those two things combined means that I have to watch every movie on every list and I definitely can't stop once I've started! Also though, I've been a film buff for a long time now so I'm always looking for new movies to watch. These lists have provided me with tons of viewing options, and there's also some pretty cool stuff included on them that I probably never would have thought to watch. I would encourage any big-time film buff to check out Criterion and the 1001 Movies!
Last edited by Ruth on January 29th, 2020, 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: please use the edit button instead of double posting

I just saw Martyrs and need a hug.

Jojo Rabbit

8.6/10

on paper, this film shouldn't work because it is such a crazy concept. But it was amazing haha :lol:

double featured godfather 2 & the conversation

coppola was a troubled man

Waves

Begs to be great but falls short by quite a bit. The second half isn't near as good as the first. That being said Harrison Jr is fantastic in this and the whole cast is quite good.

Durden wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 3:44 pm
Waves

Begs to be great but falls short by quite a bit. The second half isn't near as good as the first. That being said Harrison Jr is fantastic in this and the whole cast is quite good.
is my husband's music p good?

-Vader

Jojo Rabbit (2019)

I really ended up liking this film very much because the central role is very intriguing because it is not generally the kind of character you see in historic fictions like this as the main character of a film and of course the performance lifts the entire thing up. At the beginning, I was not sure whether Waititi's take on the material would work because while I have enjoyed some of his past films (We Live in the Shadows, Thor Ragnarok, Hunt for the Wilderpeople) aside from We Live in the Shadows I never found his comedy particularly laugh-out-loud funny and neither was it here and given the sensitivity of the subject matter I was particularly nervous. However, I was moved especially at that one particular moment and it got very tense at a couple of times as well so I found myself caring about the story and the main characters.

8/10