Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Harakiri (1962)
Dir. Masaki Kobayashi

The rare joy of having a film become an instant favourite on first viewing. Simply staggering.

Andrei Rublev (1966)

Apart from Tokyo driving sequence in Solaris, Tarkovsky never tested my patience. But this film just frustrated me, despite having brilliant sequences more often than not.

Secret Beyond the Door (1948)

Not the best Fritz Lang film and that's a shame. The first 2/3rds are really interesting and moody, with excellent contrasts in the lighting and Joan Bennett is rather good in her role but having recently watched Rebecca i did notice some similarities. The mystery here is much more interesting than the actual reveal and the resolution of the film is really fast and veers into the ridiculous.

The Death of Stalin (2017)

This was an excellent and very dark comedy. Steve Buscemi, Simon Russell Beale and Jeffrey Tambor are the best actors in this film and Jason Isaacs has a rather hilarious character entrance. I could see how the awfulness of what is happening to the powerless and what the terrible people in charge are talking about rather casually could lead to a tonal dissonance and take you out of the movie but the director manages to pull off the delicate balancing act because as a social commentary on the political corruption at the heart of the Soviet Union the film really worked for me.

Everyone if you can please go see Upgrade. It needs to be rewarded. I've been digging these massive studio films, but this needs to get lots of love so we can continue to be treated to the amazing films not made to sell toys.

Mission Impossible- Ghost Protocol (7/10) and Rouge Nation (7.5/10)

Preferred RN over GP this time round.

My Cousin Rachel (2017)

Did she or didn't she? The movie gives you two possible answers throughout the story and maybe no answer at all and this, coupled with Rachel Weisz' excellent performance, makes this movie a very interesting mystery.

8.5/10

Basically the Bill Paxton show. Henriksen and Pasdar were fine. Not much else good about it though...

This was great. A poignant story with a fantastic lead performance of Daniela Vega.

Heathers (1988)

This was great. I love dark comedies like this and Winona Ryder is always awesome.

ArmandFancypants wrote:
June 3rd, 2018, 9:13 am
Harakiri (1962)
Dir. Masaki Kobayashi

The rare joy of having a film become an instant favourite on first viewing. Simply staggering.
same

interestingly, both in the manner of confrontation as well as the thematics underneath, there's a lot of Luke's TLJ arc in this too.

-Vader