Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Changed my rating for The Host to 8 instead of 7.5 after pondering on it.

Deepwater Horizon- 7/10

Once it gets going it's good. Kurt Russel was the standout.

A little bit disappointed, a very good writing but too much classic in its directing to be striking.

COCO
Director : Lee Unkrich

A enjoyable ,colourful , visceral and charismatic production yet again from Pixar studios.
With well crafted visual weight and sound design, through to the bright and enthusiastic voice performances to the beautifully rich cultural folk music.

Coco, along with The Red Turtle , is now comfortably one of my favourite animations of 2017.

★★★★

Citizen Kane
This was pretty good. But can someone give me a pretty short reason as to why this is hailed as the best movie of all time? Forgive my naïveté but I'm genuinely confused why. The non-linear story? The camera work? The makeup? The filmmaking was fine and the acting (with the exception of Dorothy Comingore) was great, but even my parents (very big fans of classic films) were basically bored by the story of this.

Maybe I haven't seen enough classical films (I'm trying to fix that this year), but the small grouping of other films that I've seen from the 40's/50's have had more engaging story lines and characters compared to this. Even Kubrick's films (which may very well be inspired by this too) made in the 60's or early 70's have seemed to barely age in terms of filmmaking and relevance. I'm seeing this on filmmakers', critics', and directors' top films of all time lists and I just do not get it.

Bacon wrote:Citizen Kane

This was decent. But can someone give me a pretty short reason as to why this is hailed as the best movie of all time?
The things we take for granted whenever we watch a movie today, it all came from Citizen Kane. The film itself is dark without being overly cynical, funny without being goofy, epic yet intimate, a timeless tale of a rise to power and a fall from grace. Citizen Kane is just so many things, and it strikes the perfect balance between all of them.

But isn't there a difference between a film's significance in history and a film's quality? Definitely not saying that the film is not of quality, but seeing this film praised the way it is honestly still confuses me even though it changed the way people made cinema.

EDIT:

This is actually a great video on it and it helps me understand it a bit more.

Sully- 7/10

Aaron Eckhart's mustache was truly something yo. I was distracted by it throughout the movie. Also, the ending was really fulfilling.

LUCKY
Director : John Carroll Lynch

Harry Dean Stanton stars and leads in his last performance as the weary, tired atheist Lucky who’s coming to terms with his inevitable old aged vulnerabilities while critically looking beyond his existential being.
Accompanying Harry Dean is a array of popular veterans of the acting community, such as Barry Shabaka Henley, Beth Grant, James Darren ,Tom Skerrit and featuring Director, Writer and Artist David Lynch as Howard, a character who’s steeped in worry due to the disappearance of his loving pet tortoise President Roosevelt.

Thoughts:

Harry Dean carries the film with a delicate ,subtle awareness of his character and ,in hindsight ,maybe his own self.
The direction plays it kind to, not only Stanton , but with all the cast, who are all given little perks in this intimate story.
The film also portrays a great visual warmth and depth in cinematography, in LA and in a tiny Arizona town.

Lucky is a touching and apt final appearance from Harry Dean who will forever be a person and performer who’ll will sorely be missed.

★★★★

DREAMER wrote:Image

LUCKY
Director : John Carroll Lynch
Didn't know the Zodiac Killer was a director.