Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
willaartwillem wrote:Atonement
I think it was a bit inconsistent and kind of boring at times. But overall, I really really liked it. Great performances from McAvoy and Kneightly and great direction from Wright. And holy damn, that Dunkirk scene...
7,8/10
How dare you.

Anyway...

Passengers (2016) - 5.8/10

What the fuck did I just watch. I mean why? This was horrendous and I felt it was a 3 hour movie.

Paths of Glory is such a gem.

RIFA wrote:
willaartwillem wrote:Atonement
I think it was a bit inconsistent and kind of boring at times. But overall, I really really liked it. Great performances from McAvoy and Kneightly and great direction from Wright. And holy damn, that Dunkirk scene...
7,8/10
How dare you.
What's wrong? :(

Logan (2017)

This is an excellent and serious film with stakes and lots of good character development.

9/10

willaartwillem wrote:
RIFA wrote: How dare you.
Atonement is an underrated gem. Joe Wright went ballistic with that movie.

RIFA wrote:
willaartwillem wrote:
RIFA wrote: How dare you.
Atonement is an underrated gem. Joe Wright went ballistic with that movie.
Well I gave it a 7.8, pretty good right? :)

The Silence of the Lambs
I was disturbed by this movie. It has a brilliant structure and it's endlessly smart. And Hopkins' performance is just... sickening. Little bit shocked by it.
9/10

Atonement is a masterpiece.

Kong: Skull Island : 5/10

Saw an advanced screening of it yesterday, and I was pretty disappointed. Without going into any spoilers, although there really isn't anything to spoil as pretty everything that you think is gonna happen happens. I was expecting a fun popcorn film, and the productions values along with the action sequences are good. But everything else was actually shockingly bad at parts.

The characters are either generic or awful cliches, especially Samuel L. Jackson's character. John C. Reilly was by far the best character of the movie as I actually thought that most of the humor that came out of his character worked. Both Tom Hiddleston and Brie Larson's characters are very generic. Hiddleston's character is given an introduction that's supposed to show that he is kind of a badass, but his character doesn't warrant that introduction because he barely gets to anything during the entire movie besides walk around and run away from monsters. The dialogue is often at times atrocious and the script is full of cliched moments. It felt like something that I would have written if I had procrastinated and had only one weekend to finish a 120 page screenplay. There are also way too many jokes thrown in and many of them fall flat. It's almost Thor: The Dark World levels in terms of too much humor. The editing is also awful, the way that it is put together feels very rushed. Scenes often lacked good transitions or any at all, which is a problem when the movie constantly cuts between different characters and actions. Even some basic dialogue scenes are poorly cut together. It honestly reminded me of BvS(theatrical edition) and Suicide Squad in terms of its editing.

It's a shame because I actually do like the concept with the idea of Kong being the last protector of the island against a bigger threat, and the way that it ties in with Godzilla was actually decently done without feeling forced. The visual effects are great, and some of the action sequences are pretty cool, but I honestly still can't fully recommend it to people who are just looking for some dumb fun because there aren't enough of them to justify the experience, especially since almost everything else is so weak. If you looking for a fun giant monsters action movie, then you're better off watching Pacific Rim again or even Godzilla 2014. If you're looking for a good King Kong movie, watch the original or the Peter Jackson remake.

CoolwhipSpecial wrote:Atonement is a masterpiece.
£