Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Gaspar Noe's Love

I mean, I don't know what I was expecting. Seemed rather depressing and gratuitous.

Must have been quite the experience in 3D lol.

Fanny Och Alexander(1982)

How did Bergman do it again and again and again?!
I should have watched the 5 hour version but somehow mistakenly remembered that Bergman preferred the 3 hour one because it was released theatrically first. Anyway will watch the 5 hour one in some years for sure when I'm done with the most of his filmography.

Conan the Barbarian

A rather awesome film starring Arnold Schwarzenegger. True, the dialogue does sound a bit simplistic at times...but only for certain characters (king Osric and Thusla Doom are exceptions and deliver rather sophisticated ideas every second they are on-screen) and even though Schwarzenegger's Conan does not have many lines of dialogue, he manages to convey the character's emotions often without even having to say a single world. The soundtrack is amazing, the practical effects and locations gorgeous and the characters engaging. Fun fact: Arnie had to lose weight for this because, having been a bodybuilder previously, he was too big to actively swing Conan's sword around effectively. There is also some sex in this film, which means the film was likely not intended for younger audiences but it at least proved that fantasy did not have to be for kids or teenagers only. The action scenes are well-shot and even though the story is relatively simple, the film has lots of other elements and intriguing details that make it a singular viewing experience for me.

9/10

Absolutely fantastic, this film has it all and then some. Stone won me over, Gosling was his usual stellar but better. Loved this

God dammit... All I hear is praise for La La Land, from every critic to the average movie watcher. And it doesn't come out for another three months over here. That's fucking bullshit.

Train to Busan - 6/10

Great direction and creative twists throughout the first two acts, only to be let down by bollywood level tripe in the third. Doesn't hold a candle to Handmaiden.

Toni Erdmann - 9/10

Absolutely fantastic, I'm finding myself more and more enamoured with long, slow character studies from european directors. No soundtrack or set pieces, just great satirical writing and character development. Beautiful movie on themes of life and well-being.

Deepwater Horizon - 4/10

This guy is just a Paul Greengrass wannabe, attempts big emotional payoff and falls completely flat.

elemunt wrote: Toni Erdmann - 9/10

Absolutely fantastic, I'm finding myself more and more enamoured with long, slow character studies from european directors. No soundtrack or set pieces, just great satirical writing and character development. Beautiful movie on themes of life and well-being.
:twothumbsup:

Saw the remake couple of years ago, which was utter shyte. This on the other hand, was great. So eerie, Spacek was fantastic. Complete 180 from La La Land lol

Undrafted (2016)
Written and directed by Joe Mazzello. Absolutely love the passion and drama that goes into a sports movie, and you know I am a sucker for this genre. This film is how I imagine an actual game of baseball with the crew from Everybody Wants Some would go... And it's fucking awesome :D

Anthropoid

The last 35 mins are spectacular.